Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

copying link's awakening art style for practice but...

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by DustyMemez, Jun 10, 2022.

1. DustyMemez

DustyMemez

Been trying to copy the link's awakening art style in unity for practice but can't get as close to the original as i want. Anyone got any advice on what i should do?

How it looks so far

How i want it to look:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You could start by switching to Unreal, since that's what link's awakening uses :p

Although it won't help you much, probably.

Try matching the sunlight direction better, all your materials need a bit more specularity, and you need better (and more) art.

3. PutridEx

PutridEx

step one is take pictures in the same angle, hard to compare two different pictures :D
    but yeah, specularity looks like a big one here. The trees and even the grass receive quite a bit of specular light.
    Also there seems to be a depth of field effect in the original game, you should replicate that. Need to make it effect the end of the screen similar to the original (just messing with the settings really, there's a DoF visualize debug tool that can be helpful in the rendering debugger)

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I managed a basic and simple zelda ish rendering a while back, just using URP and some tinkering. Took about 5 mins but I was mostly just playing around with some poorly ripped assets to give a friend some advice. Included here to illustrate the simplicity: You only need URP and to tweak some material settings.

HDRP is extreme overkill for this.

upload_2022-6-10_18-37-15.png

It runs around 60fps on a low end phone that isn't as good as switch (minus the post fx). I also tore apart this game on renderdoc via emulator. Truth be told, it wasn't very well engineered. The game ran poorly because it wasn't developed with much understanding of the GPU's characteristics with wasteful microtriangle hell among other issues. I guess that's why my quick effort did so well.

Don't assume that other devs, even in big studios, know what they're doing or have much control over it. Anyone with experience would not render more triangles than pixels but that studio did, and often on that game, as well as abusing deferred, wrong buffer sizes, wasted bandwidth - I could go on, but I suspect most of those issues stemmed from choosing UE4 to do entirely a job it is not designed for.

5. kristof2000

kristof2000

how did you do the depth of field effect on the borders in urp? this is very motivational.

6. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

The manual DOF mode with start and end points