Search Unity

Question Copying custom events between environments

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Ryan_HardballGames, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Ryan_HardballGames

Ryan_HardballGames

I'm doing an initial integration of Unity Analytics into our game I've just stumbled across a major nuisance with using this service.

We want to separate our data into many environments dev/qa/staging/prod. However it appears that the custom events and there parameters have to be set up in each environment manually. This is a laborious and error prone task.

Upon searching the Unity forums for this issue I've found multiple users requesting an easier workflow for this as well as multiple responses from Unity Developers saying that the feature is in development, these requests go back 2.5 years.

Is this feature still in development? Is there an expected timeline for its delivery?

Thanks for taking the time to respond Ryan.

Lpesign, dchipman and Trunksome like this.
  2. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for reaching out to the support team. Yes, you're correct. This is something that has been mentioned many times and it's definitely something we're prioritizing. Unity Analytics has only been live for less than a year, so it's possible some of the rumblings you've seen were for Legacy Analytics, though that would still be something you might expect as a feature if it were mentioned in our previous iteration!

I can't provide timelines on when this will be released, but this forum post alone helps push it along, as I've taken it directly to the UGS Analytics product team. I will update you via this thread, however, once I have something more concrete.

Thanks again for reaching out Ryan!

Randy

3. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Definitely +1. Environments are kind-off useless without being able to import/export settings/events between them. Also I would love to see a way to transfer these settings between projects (not only environments). I don't think we need anything fancy. A simple export (to json or xml file) and import within a few sections (Event Manager, Funnels, Audiences) would suffice.

4. dchipman

dchipman

@RandolfKlemola thank you for raising this with the Analytics team, do you have any updates? This is a complete non-starter for using this service in any live game, and I'm going to have to go with a different Analytics provider if this isn't addressed.

Related, where is the appropriate channel to raise this concern across all of UGS? The UGS CLI tool could facilitate this if all services were onboarded onto it, but only two are at the moment and based on roadmaps it almost looks like it's being treated as optional per service. I'm frankly confused how UGS even went live last year without this- does Unity really expect devs to be manually configuring prod environments on a live game?

RandolfKlemola likes this.
  5. _dns_

_dns_

+1!
    And it would be great to have some kind of "diff view" before applying a modification and/or to compare 2 environments.
    Example: after a modification of a custom event/parameters, I can see a diff view of the modifications (like a Version Control diff view of json/xml) before clicking "apply".
    If the system works with importing/exporting json/xml of the custom events/params, same diff view after importing a new file (+ "apply" button) would be great.
    And a diff view to compare 2 environments could be very convenient too.
    And I'm not sure if the persons who modify those custom events are all programmers, I guess so but I can't be sure. This would mean that the UI could be a little more "technical"/raw than for other parts of the UGS back end :)

6. vallis_unity

vallis_unity

7. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

@_dns_ This is awesome, I'll submit this feedback to the team as well.

No updates yet folks, but hopefully something soon. Thanks for your patience!

8. Stepwise

Stepwise

+1 - I'm in the same boat as dchipman where I'm forced to move to another analytics provider if I can't copy custom events between environments! Following the thread in hopes it moves faster than I will.

9. blacklabgames

blacklabgames

another +1 here, thanks!

10. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in addressing this issue. We're actively looking into this now and are running a short survey to gather insights to help us develop functionality that allows copying events across environments.

We invite you to share your feedback by answering a few questions in this survey.

Thank you so much for your support and valuable feedback!

11. dchipman

dchipman

Hi @clarec_unity, the survey you linked is set to private and cannot be accessed.

_dns_ likes this.
  12. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for letting me know, this is resolved now!

13. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

We're excited to provide you with a brief update on this thread. We've recently shipped a new feature to the Analytics dashboard to meet your needs of copying events between environments. Now you can select your events, choose your target environment and copy them over in bulk. Go to the Event Manager to check it out.

Thanks,
    Clare

14. dchipman

dchipman

@clarec_unity Very glad to see this get built! Does this include support for the CLI tool so that we can integrate this into CI/CD pipelines?

15. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

It doesn't yet but we have made the dashboard changes with that workflow in mind. Hopefully, I'll have some more news to share on this soon! I'll post more updates here when I

sevenedusrrb and dchipman like this.
  16. digitallead

digitallead

This is fantastic, thanks unity analytics team. Is it possible to use this functionality to copy custom funnels?

17. supendi42

supendi42

The events that I copied doesn't seem to copy the custom parameter inside it, is it intended?