Search Unity

Copying a component with a UnityEvent from one object to another

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by KMacro, Mar 18, 2019.

1. KMacro

KMacro

I'm trying to take all custom components from one object and copy them to another object. I need to do this because the second object is instantiated at runtime through an AssetBundle.

It is easy enough to do this with AttachComponent and reflection, however I have hit a bit of a snag when it comes to UnityEvents.

When a UnityEvent on my original object references a custom script on that same object, I want the copy's UnityEvent to reference the custom script on the copy, not the original.

Here's my code so far:

(original and copy are the original component and the one I attach to a separate object at runtime, respectively)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEvent originalEvent = original.event;
    2. UnityEvent copyEvent = copy.event;
    3. for(int i = 0; i < originalEvent.GetPersistentEventCount(); i ++)
    4. {
    5.     Object target = originalEvent.GetPersistentTarget(i);
    6.     Type targetT = target.GetType();
    7.     var copyTarget = copy.GetComponent(targetT);
    8.     string methodName = originalEvent.GetPersistentMethodName(i);
    9.     MethodInfo methodInfo = UnityEventBase.GetValidMethodInfo(copyTarget, methodName, new Type[] {});
    11.     void Execute()
    12.     {
    13.         methodInfo.Invoke(copyTarget, new object[] {});
    14.     }
    16.     copyEvent.AddListener(Execute);
    17. }
    When I debug and inspect my copyEvent after all of this, I see that I have added something to the m_RuntimeCalls List of the event, but I can not inspect whatever this is in my IDE. Furthermore, the method is not called when I do what should invoke it on the copied object.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

2. wesleywh

wesleywh

3. TelloSoft

TelloSoft

There is an asset on the unity asset store named Copy Paste UnityEvents, after installing, you will see the nice copy-paste buttons below all of your serialized unity events in the inspector.

Link To Copy Paste UnityEvents https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/214485