Search Unity

  1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Copy pasteable Texture Importer Settings

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Lo-renzo, Nov 13, 2023.

  1. Lo-renzo

    Lo-renzo

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Posts:
    1,455
    Why isn't this a thing?

    d - Copy.png

    It would be nice if it were possible to Copy and Paste the Texture Importer Settings like other objects. The workaround now is to copy/paste the texture, change the name, and then import the new texture to the new name. But I forget to do this all the time.
     
  2. spiney199

    spiney199

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2021
    Posts:
    7,186
    Lo-renzo likes this.
  3. Lo-renzo

    Lo-renzo

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Posts:
    1,455
    That's great, thanks, but it's not quite 100% what I want though since with sprite settings I usually only want to quickly copy a couple, which is where Copy would fit in fewer clicks for that use case.

    Example: 3 trees, tree01, tree02, tree03. Made at same time, exact same settings, pivot, ppu, etc but with 3 it's not worth a preset, but a one-off Copy/Paste would be useful to set.
     
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  4. spiney199

    spiney199

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2021
    Posts:
    7,186
    An import preset is usually enough to do 90% of the settings you need. Then you can tune the remaining 10 percent. It saves enough time that it's worth investing the 10 minutes to make a present for your most common import arrangements.
     
  5. Lo-renzo

    Lo-renzo

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2018
    Posts:
    1,455
    I don't disagree. Just saying it would be nice to have a 3-click fix to a common scenario I encounter, which would also bring the Inspector for Texture Import Settings in line with most other objects.
     
  6. Kurt-Dekker

    Kurt-Dekker

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2013
    Posts:
    38,238
    @Lo-renzo My approach whenever I have a complex import setting I want to apply to another image is this:

    - do NOT add the new image to your project yet.

    - find an image that is already present and imported the way you want

    - duplicate that existing image (select it, then hit Ctrl-D / CMD-D)

    - rename that dupe image to be what your new image is named (copy/paste the name)

    - from the file explorer, replace the renamed duplicated image with your actual intended image.

    - let Unity reimport the image, and it will be using the same settings as the original.

    You can even do a bunch at once if you like.