Search Unity

Copy map layout from another game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wenon, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Wenon

Wenon

Hello, for example, I'm making gta like game with my own assets. Will it be illegal if I make map with exactly the same city layout (streets layout, where player starts, where are hospitals, placed guns and special vehicles, train stations etc.) like in gta 1 but with my models, sounds, textures and district names?
    And if in my missions gamer will have to do exactly the same things what in gta but with different character names and text like this?:
    Gta: You have to go to downtown, take a taxi and run over my opponent.
    My game: I want you to go to city center, take a taxi parked near electronic shop and run over that bad guy.

2. sxa

sxa

You're basically saying you specifically want your work to be a copy of someone else's.

Whether or not you think the map, missions, plot etc are something that are covered by copyright law, that 'someone else' has much bigger lawyers than you, and the second they send you a cease-and-desist for plagiarism, you'll wish you had spent 20 minutes drawing a different map, making a different plot, and thinking up new missions.

3. Wenon

Wenon

I'd rather call this remake old game ;p
    But I understand I can't remake gta even with my assets, thank you for answer.

4. sxa

sxa

Go for 'inspired by' rather than 'remake of.'

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need a lawyer. But I believe that it would not be allowed. By using the original layout, you're making a derived work of the original game map. And you don't have a permission for that.

That is likely something you can get away with, especially if you make it a parody.

You can't remake a game without author's permission.

Wenon and angrypenguin like this.