Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy GO from a project to another

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by AhmadIssawi, Oct 4, 2019.

1. AhmadIssawi

AhmadIssawi

hi every one,
    in there a way to copy a whole GameObject and their children from a project to another ???
    Here the details: when i works in any software (Photoshop for instance), if i made a Hard work in a file, i can later copy this work simply to another file, with all the layers and effects and all... so, i worked more than 10 years in Photoshop in this way, each time i copy the worth work i made later easily by dragging many layers from file to another file (both opened) ...when i came to Unity, i failed to made the same procedure, because:
    1- i am able to open 2 projects in the same time.
    2- if i copy the GO in project-1, then i open project-2, and made "Paste", Nothing is pasted (although the command copy is available in project-1 and so for paste in project-2).
    3- when i applied what is written in this link :
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/16422/how-do-i-copy-complex-gameobjects-from-one-project.html
    All my recent work in project-1 is deleted, and i lost All my Old work, and the New GO with children is not pasted also ...

Many thanks for any Help !

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, Unity does not support copy/paste with external apps (even another instance of itself). In the 21st century. It's barbaric.

Your best bet is probably to export the object of interest to a UnityPackage, and then import that package into your other Unity project. See here in the manual.

Joe-Censored and Lukas-Wendt like this.