Search Unity

Copper's Great Escape (RPG)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by davisj16usmc, Aug 26, 2015.

1. davisj16usmc

davisj16usmc

Copper is a wolf that rules the great fields of Hysaria. He is one of the six grand mystics that rule their domains. He has been kidnapped and blackmailed into going on a journey to Black Rock Mountain to retrieve the heir to Black Rock's throne. Help Copper through shadow ridden forests, fiery cave systems, gravity defying villages, and more using strategic maneuvering abilities, magic, deception, and raw destruction. Will you capture the will of Nimanta and stop the treacherous King Valdoux?

I started working on this project last week, and am hoping to take it full fledged all the way to publishing on consoles such as XBOX and PlayStation. I'm not sure how and where I can publish the game when it's finished so some advice on that would be a nice added bonus!

So far I have programmed the player manager (includes the camera's peek functionality, HUD, animations, magic spells, sounds, and stats), designed the first half of the starting level, created a test level, created an enemy with basic logic, animation, and sounds, and that's about it. I'm having trouble out of a few things like collision for attacks (it doesn't even register a collision when you can clearly see it), the player will randomly start moving extremely slow like they're trapped on a hill with a high incline angle, the magic spells don't do anything to the test enemy, and I can't keep the enemy on the ground (without it falling through the floor in what I call the bridge room where aside from the bridge and two cliffs there is no floor, just water). I believe that last one can be fixed with some pathfinding logic instead of a basic follow logic. Some advice on things to try for these problems would be nice.

Other than the above, I'm just looking for some feedback on how you think it looks so far; is it visually appealing? How does the HUD look? Would you change anything about the magic? I'm still trying to decide what I should use for air magic and white magic. I'm wanting white magic to be a little different from the normal, allowing things like enemy confusion, possession, and what I call a "ghost mode" where the player can't be seen by enemies at all (aside from other enemies with this ability).

Screen 10.jpg Screen 30.jpg Screen 40.jpg

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Framerate looks pretty poor. Might be due to the video card chugging while recording. And the audio recording isn't good. Might consider a different recording approach.

I'd like to see the player movement animations. The turning looks a little floaty to me.

Personal opinion only - The wolf player character looks pretty boring and plain. May want to think of something to enhance his appearance so he is more appealing - to the players. What makes them want to play as a normal looking wolf? Maybe look at some nintendo or team ico or valve content. Not saying to go off on unrealistic oddities like nintendo does, but just see if something sparks an idea.

Other than that the lighting looks like it is working as desired. I'll leave commenting on the spell effects to someone who is more familiar with that area than I.

Will watch for the next update.