Search Unity

"Cool camera effect" - how was it done

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yuriythebest, Aug 7, 2012.

1. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

This is from an obscure game I found called "Subway Surfer"

My assumption is that they used a wide FOV, perhaps some fish eye shader, and also that the track itself is bent and not straight

2. Khyrid

Khyrid

Looks like fish eye effect.

3. ddeaco

ddeaco

One way would be to use render to texture then apply that texture to a curved surface.

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It's a pretty good game.

I wonder if in their shaders when they pull in the Z coord, maybe they do some kind of math on the coordinate before passing it on to the fragment shader, that causes the Z location to be squeezed?

5. Acumen

Acumen

You can find some of the wonderful assets in this thread as well as a tiny line about how they made the bend
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1595445

6. gfoot

gfoot

You'd need a reasonable amount of tesselation too. It doesn't matter what maths you do in your vertex shader, triangle edges will always be straight lines on-screen. So if you want your train tracks to be curved, you need lots of triangles on them.

7. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

so would that be a camera shader or is it a special shader that actually bends the objects and must be applied to all geometry?

8. tomvds

tomvds

Every shader of every object would need a custom vertex program that performs the bending.

9. Acumen

Acumen

you know what these guys/devs are supecool and helpful human beings why don't you just send a polite email asking the same exact questions. I'm sure they might be able to help and/or guide you in the right directions. Worth a try for sure :)

Also another thread over at polycount discussing the same issue, I believe. Often unity related even !
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95951

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

Someone produced a tutorial detailing Deathspank's rolling world effect a while back, it was for XNA but as the actual effect is shader based it should be easy to do in Unity. After spending a while searching for it, through numerous dead links and closed sites, I found it:

http://www.madgamedev.com/2010/09/article-rolling-world-tutorial/4/

It looks like there could be some horizontal distortion in that subway surfer game too, I would assume the effect could be altered to handle that too.

11. spinaljack

spinaljack

Anyone know where I can find such a shader? That tutorial link seems to be dead.

12. SQR

SQR

13. Berenger

Berenger

14. diekeure

diekeure

frosted and SunnySunshine like this.