Search Unity

Convex Decomposition with more options like in UE4

Discussion in 'Physics' started by BlueBudgie1, Aug 17, 2016.

1. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Hi,

I am relatively new to Unity and noticed that the convex collision which you have to use for moving physics objects (non-kinematic) is quite coarse, i.e. it does not match the geometry very well.

In UE4 there is a convex decompositon that allows you to tweak the accuracy. I have used that many times.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/StaticMeshes/HowTo/SettingCollision/

It would be great if Unity offered something like this. I have physics enabled boat on my ocean that hits rocks and so on and the boats convex collision hull that appears when I tick 'convex' in the mesh collider is only slighly better than a cube. It does not fit the boats geometry very well.

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

I would also love to have this feature. V-HACD integration is already in the roadmap, though

However, I'd say this is the kind of feature that is pretty realistically doable by third parties or by yourself. It wouldn't take too much time, and it would be a pretty safe purchase because it doesn't really do anything at runtime by itself, so there wouldn't really be any performance concerns

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. Edy

Edy

The K-DOP simple collision generator looks pretty useful as well !!