Search Unity

Converting textures to sprites (in 4.3) and making them unlit.

Discussion in '2D' started by LOLinc, Nov 18, 2013.

1. LOLinc

LOLinc

Greetings.

I am trying to upgrade an old 2D project to use unity 4.3 new features. The game is basically a S*** load of quads with textures and some basic box colliders without mesh renderer. It would be awesome if I can somehow convert some of the textured quads into sprites and then add 2D-colliders. So quad -> sprite.
    Further more, the game is quite dark and non of the textures are unlit. Sprites seems to be unlit by default, or is it just me?

I would love to hear if any one of you has some fruitful experiences with converting older 2D projects to the build-in-unity-2D-system!
    Any thoughts or comments on the topic is much appreciated.

Cheers

2. unitylover

unitylover

The only way you're going to be able to convert your old texture quads to sprites is by creating sprite sheets / sprites in the editor. There is a lot of behind the scenes things happening which make it nearly impossible to effectively come up with a sort of drag and drop solution. I just finished porting an old RPG I did on the old system where I used quads for sprites as well and while it was a time consuming process it really wasn't that much of a pain once I got past the first 20 or so textures.

Here's a couple time saving tips:

- Select groups of textures and set import settings all at once in the inspector instead of doing each and every texture individually. This will save you ALOT of time.

- If you want to utilize sprite sheets, use something like Texture Packer to generate sprite sheets from your individual tiles and when you import the sprite sheet into Unity set the "sprite mode" to multiple and use the available tools to easily slice up your sprites.

Cheers,
    Mike