Search Unity

Converting from VB project files to Unity

Discussion in 'Windows' started by CB-InDev, Apr 6, 2014.

1. CB-InDev

CB-InDev

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the Unity scene. I have heard a lot of great things, and the ability to write code once and have it ported to multiple platforms really excites me.

I want to congratulate the entire Unity community on a really clever tool that makes it easier to share our projects!

Now on to my question ;)
    I originally created my first app, PopQuiz!, using Visual Studio Express. I was wondering if there is a built-in method in the Unity development kit that can "import" or convert the Project/Solution file from VB to Unity.

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. sstrong

sstrong

Unity exports or publishes to a Visual Studio project (it creates one the first time you "build" a unity project). Your best option is to load one of the unity demo projects, switch to Windows Store Apps (if that what you want) and build a VS c# +xml project. That as close as you'll get to VB. With a bit of work you can rewrite your core VB methods in c#. However, most of the work is done from within the Unity editor rather than in VS.

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

While you cannot write scripts in VB directly, Unity will still be able to use DLLs compiled from VB, and you'll be able to call into them from C#/UnityScript/Boo scripts. Furthermore, there's nothing stopping you from referencing UnityEngine.dll from your VB code, just make sure that you're referencing the correct one (there's one for every platform in Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\)