Search Unity

Converting android app into iOS

Discussion in 'Android' started by HungPark, Dec 13, 2019.

1. HungPark

HungPark

Hi!,

My android app is already uploaded on Google store.
    I am going to convert this app into iOS version.
    I need your help for the following questions.

1. Can this conversion be done by simply selecting iOS platform in the
    same Unity Editor, which has the uploaded android version?

2. In the case of doing this conversion,
    there is no any damages to the uploaded version which still stays in the
    Editor?

3. How to keep this android version safely when doing conversion it into iOS ?

Your help will be very appreciated.

2. Ukounu

Ukounu

1. If you don't need to set up any platform-specific functionality (ads, in-app purchases, online services, etc.), then yes, conversion from Android to iOS is done simply by clicking on "switch platform" in the editor.
    2,3. Switching platform in editor won't affect other platforms, you can always switch back later. If you have a lot of images in your project, Unity will take long time converting them every time you change target platform. This process can be sped up using cache server.

baranatlihan9 and Shawammy like this.
  3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You will need a Mac, if you don't have one already.

4. HungPark

HungPark

Hi! Jeff,

Yes, I have a Mac.
    Do you mean that I have to do this conversion with Mac ?

Thank you.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Building for iOS requires XCode, and XCode requires a Mac. The output of Unity when you build for iOS is an XCode project. I would not really call it a conversion, you are just setting the build target to iOS.

6. HungPark

HungPark

Hi! Jeff,

Thank you very much for your instruction.
    I understand completely.

Merry Christmas.

7. AcidFz

AcidFz

Question, xcode because you want it on app store.

What if you just want to pass it with a different app place for ios, and it also has ads on it.

8. kaarloew

kaarloew

So you have an existing app in App Store, and you want to replace it with one made with Unity?

9. AcidFz

AcidFz

Thats if, I mean if you have project and you build it in windows for IOS, can you build it and pass it around,not going thru the apple/app store. Will the ads work? sorry thats two questions

10. kaarloew

kaarloew

You can share iOS builds via services like App Center if you want faster deployment cycles. And yes, you can show ads in iOS apps/games.

11. AcidFz

AcidFz

Thanks man, actually I just want to switch to ios what ever I come up, so I can pass it to my mother. who is using
    an Ipad.

publishing to apple app store, is too expensive.

12. kaarloew

kaarloew

You still need an Apple developer license to sign the binaries if you want to distribute them. But you can do local builds (cable connected to device) for your own devices without paid developer account.

AcidFz likes this.
  13. AcidFz

AcidFz

Aw, thats expensive and its annual.

14. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

Is there an easy way to convert an Android Studio project to a Unity project?

or would I have to do this all manually?

15. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

There is no easy way to do this conversion. It depends on what you want to do and how you want to use Unity in relation to your existing project. Depending on the size and complexity of your current project, you might consider instead of converting your Android Studio project into Unity project, to integrate Unity project into your Android Studio project. If you are interested in that, take a look at this page https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityasaLibrary.html. Alternatively you could try to convert your Android Studio project into a plugin and integrate it into the Unity's project. For this you should check this page https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/PluginsForAndroid.html. Finally if you want to completely recreate your Android Studio project inside of Unity, then you will have to do that manually.