Search Unity

Converting an existing player script into a networking enabled script...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by beatsncredible, Mar 18, 2019.

1. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

Hello all, I am new here. I have read and watched numerous documents and videos about setting up networking. I have the basics down, but my already written player movement script isn't working anymore. I tried adding the networking functions to it. it spawns on the level in the proper place, but the player wont move. Can someone show me an example of a player script and a modified version?

2. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

Which networking program are you using?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You should mention what networking API you are using. Don't use Unet by the way, since it is deprecated and being removed in the next few months.

4. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

I am using Unet.

5. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

I am very new, and I am clueless on how to use the others as some of the implementation is beyond my skill level. Unet has tons of video tutorials.

6. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

So, what do you suggest I use? Unet was very easy to implement.

7. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

Switch to mirror. It is free and on the asset store and is basically the same as Unet.

8. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

I hope is easier than photon and dark rift2 to understand.

9. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

It is unet. Well almost. You can use the same commands and such. If you know Unet you won't have any problems. Just change the using unity.networking to using mirror and you will be good to go.

10. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

I just imported mirror into my project and it gave me 265 errors. I cant add any of the scripts because the compiler wnats me to fix all of the errors first. I don't think Mirror is going to work. Any other suggestions?

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Head over to the Connected Games forum instead of here and take a look at any of the other networking API's discussed there to see what looks to be a fit for what you are trying to create. You can also ask about your specific errors in the Mirror thread if you want to go with it. You haven't mentioned what they are, so no idea what your issue is.

12. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

I never had a single error with mirror on 3projects now. One was converted from Unet. What version of Unity are you using?

13. beatsncredible

beatsncredible

2018.2.0f2