Search Unity

Converting a match 3 game into a platformer

Discussion in '2D' started by cobaltBlue, Apr 9, 2016.

1. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Hi,

For the past few months I've started working on a project which was originally made to be a match 3 game. However to add a unique twist to it a platforming character was added to the game. If you want a rough idea of this check out super puzzle platformer that was made by adult swim.

Currently we have a world of match 3 tiles that uses an array representation of a match 3 board to do its collision detection. The platforming character on the other hand uses a specialized character controller that uses raycasts for collision detection, obviously to make this work the tiles all have kinematic rigidbodies and colliders so that the character controller can detect their geometry with raycasting.

So far this has been ok... However the design team has been proposing new elements in the game which are more platformer oriented and quite frankly doesn't really work well with the current collision detection that uses the board array.

I personally feel that it would be alot cleaner to just move the whole project to just using unity's 2d physics however there are certain things that work better with a grid, stuff like finding colored matches, swapping tiles, tiles that fall diagonally all work better using a grid.

The solution that i came up with was to let unity physics do its thing but still plot the position of that object on the board as it moved. And only when I needed to do something grid like i would swap over to kinematic movement based on the grid.

Quite frankly I don't know if this will work and I would really appreciate if i could get a 2nd (hopefully expert) opinion on the matter. (Dear moderators please delete this thread I've already posted the same thread in general discussions, this is the first thread that i started in 2 years :p)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016