Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert Prefabs to Tile Palettes

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by ShervinM, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ShervinM

ShervinM

The 2019.3.0 Alpha 6 change list mentions:
    • 2D: Allow users to convert Prefabs to Tile Palettes by dragging and dropping a valid Prefab onto the Tile Palette Window
    I've downloaded the latest alpha, but dragging in a prefab into the Tile Palette Window doesnt do anything.
    What is a "valid prefab"? Has anyone been able to make this work?

Thanks!

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can file a bug report.

This works already very well in 2019.1. On the image below, Platforms is a tilemap and Pit_prop is a game object.

Capture.JPG

Do you have a reason for using the alpha version of Unity?

3. ShervinVR

ShervinVR

hi Schmidt!

Did you use the prefab brush, or were you actually able to create a tile that holds a prefab (i.e. by dragging a prefab from the project into the tile palette window)? If you were, would you be able to show a screenshot of palette that holds the prefab tiles?

Thanks so much!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

The prefab is just a prefab, an ordinary prefab, not a palette brush or a "palette that holds the prefab files". Just a prefab. :)

5. ShervinVR

ShervinVR

Ah I think we may be misunderstanding each other here :)

I'm aware instances of prefabs (Pit_prop) can exist under parent objects that have tilemap components (Platforms).

I'm also aware that prefab brushes can be used to directly place instances of prefabs under tilemaps.

But my original question refers particularly to the wording: "2D: Allow users to convert Prefabs to Tile Palettes".

Currently you can only drag in sprite assets into a new palette. What this feature suggests is that now you should be able to drag prefabs into palettes as well (by palette, i mean the asset you can import tiles to in the Tile Palette editor window, not the hierarchy grid / tilemap.

Faucheur_de_chattons likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, my bad. :)

Does that also mean that in 2019.3, you can "paint prefabs" (create brushes from existing prefabs? Or are you using the 2D Extras? If you are not using the 2D Extras, can you create "Rule Tiles" in 2019.3?

7. ShervinM

ShervinM

I'm very much hoping thats what that means! It would be incredible to have a palette of prefabs and paint them like you would with sprites. The prefab brush in the 2d Extras is good, but its awful if you need to be switching to different prefabs all the time.

I've been following a couple threads on this recently. There are lots of others who are waiting for this feature I'm sure:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefab-tile.499903/

I've been using the 2d Extras on my 2019.1 project specifically for Rule Tiles and Prefab Brushes. Not sure if 2019.3 has them natively. I cant seem to find them :(

Faucheur_de_chattons likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wouldn't it be weird that you can create prefabs palettes if you cannot create prefab brushes in 2019.3 then?

9. ShervinM

ShervinM

If prefab palettes is meant to come out, I can see why they wouldnt bundle the prefab brush with the Tilemap editor package. Why would you use the prefab brush if you can paint prefabs directly from your palette using the normal brush?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

For the sake of diversity? :)

ShervinM likes this.
  11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thread with more information about this topic: https://forum.unity.com/threads/exp...g-to-tilemap-editor-package-in-2019-2.708848/

CheekySparrow78 likes this.