Search Unity

controlling imported animated character via wasd or arrow keys

Discussion in 'Animation' started by keyoz, Oct 16, 2018.

1. keyoz

keyoz

hi there,
    i've just imported my animated character and dragged it onto the project window. everything is in the assets, the animation preview window in the lower right corner shows me the 30f walk cycle animation as i created it in 3dsmax. so far so good.
    i need now to know how can control the character with the keyboard in order to trigger the animation and let him walk around on a simple plane. there is probably some tutorials for this around, but as a beginner, i just don't know where to find what i need. thx for your help.

2. PGJ

PGJ

To get started you can import the Standard Assets for Characters. In there you'll find a third person controller. Use the prefab for that and exchange it's animation for your own.

3. keyoz

keyoz

thanks pgj,
    though i rather would like to keep my character and would like to use other prefab animations on it like attacks, idles or jumps. is this possible? i haven't find a way yet to achieve this in 3dsmax pre-import to unity.
    btw, i can now 'control' my character in unity by keys, but ist still far from moving fluently..

4. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Yeah its frankly a lot of work and learning for an artist to make stuff and test it in Unity. I had to learn some really basic C# to make a joystick controller script to get my creatures walking around. I'm an animator, not a game programmer, but I still ended up having to do programming and learn a lot of quirks and issues with Unity. At least now it wont be so hard the next time.

keyoz likes this.