Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Controller Axes with Old Input Manager

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Andrzej828, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hello,

I am unfortunately using the old input manager for my project because of the first person controller asset that I am using, and the project is nearing completion so overhauling the player controller won't be done. I am trying to integrate controller support, and I have successfully set up Xbox controller axes using joystick axis 4 and 5 for looking around (I created new Mouse X and Mouse Y inputs mapped to those axes). However, switching to the PS4 controller causes this to break. All documentation I've seen on PS4 controllers says that the right stick is mapped to axis 4 and 5 just like the Xbox controller, and yet for me, it seems like it's mapped to axis 3 and 6 instead, and other buttons are mapped to axes 4 and 5. If I have both of these axes on in the manager at the same time, the player will be stuck because the game will pick up whatever buttons the other controller's axes are mapped to for the current controller, so he'll either be unable to turn or will constantly spin, etc. Is this expected, or are both controllers typically mapped to axes 4 and 5 for the right stick? Is my particular controller a fluke? Can I controller the axes properties programmatically/at runtime?