Search Unity

Question Control the non-VR viewport without adding an additional camera?

Discussion in 'VR' started by AndrewCzarnietzki, May 25, 2022.

1. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not finding anything.

Currently our non-VR monitor view is apparently the bottom left of the rectilinear display on the HMD, cropped to fit the screen. With higher resolution headsets, the cropping is getting more extreme. Is there any way to have that viewport be a scaled version of the rectilinear display, similar to what you can get with Oculus's mirror app? Alternatively, is there a way to have it centered instead of bottom left?

Having a spectator view is important, but we don't have the performance headroom to invoke an entirely alternate camera.

Thanks!

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you want a proper spectator cam I really suggest an additional camera with extra smoothing applied.
    I am not sure how you can adjust the rendering properly otherwise. Maybe you can select another view on the camera on game view?

3. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

Ya, if we needed to go that route an alternate camera is correct. Not so much a "spectactor cam", but its a requirement that the administrator is able to see what the player is seeing. This generally works pretty well, but with the high resolution headsets these days we're seeing a progressively smaller portion of the lower left corner of the view. Even just being able to center it or resize it to fit would be a huge improvement.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

What unity version are you running?
    I've always had the same display with multiple headsets in 2020 and 2021 lts

5. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

2021.2.4f1, using Open XR to various Oculus devices and HP Reverb. It works, its just offset in the bottom left which not ideal as centered

6. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

For the VR user, they are looking square between those two controllers:

upload_2022-5-26_15-52-2.png

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Owhhhh it just shows one of the eyes. In this case left. On the camera or game view select center eye maybe? (And of it's a long term project upgrade to LTS btw)

8. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

Eh, in this case holding on a version that's been through all of our internal QA and is in a happy state. LTS is on the docket though.

What do you mean select center eye? In the VR rig the actual camera is on the center. The issue here is that the VR display is correct, but the monitor display / game view display (when not using an additional camera and all its overhead) is annoyingly offset bottom left. I'm wondering if there's any way to change that offset and or cause the view to be the full eye scaled to fit.