Search Unity

Control-D now renumbers duplicates- anyway to stop it? ( Unity 5)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by McSwan, Mar 25, 2015.

1. McSwan

McSwan

HI,

I use control-D to duplicate spawners, that have to have the same name.

ie Spawner

Duplicating it now makes it
    Spawner 1

I know I can just rename it, but would prefer a control D that did not rename/renumber.

Does one exist ?

2. darkhog

darkhog

AFAIK it doesn't. Don't understand the change either.

3. McSwan

McSwan

You can select all your renumbered spawns, and then type the name in, then they all have the same name

4. eheimburg

eheimburg

This change is super annoying and time-wasting, so I wrote a script to do the old behavior. Place this in your Assets/Editor folder and then Ctrl+Shift+D will duplicate the selected object(s) without renaming them, like the old Unity 4 Ctrl+D did.

Note that I just wrote this code this morning. I've tested it a bunch, but I haven't "lived with it" to see if there are down sides or hidden gotchas... if I find problems I'll update this post.

Edit: sigh, and I immediately found a scenario where it breaks prefabs: if you duplicate a non-prefab game object that has prefab children, the duplicated children won't be marked as prefabs. Unfortunately I don't have time to try to fix that at the moment. But I guess the code is useful as a starting point! (And depending on your work flow, that scenario may not actually come up for you anyway.)

Added comment to the source documenting this known issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    BrinicleStudio likes this.