Search Unity

CONTINUUM - Minimalist Cave Survival

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EBR, Feb 18, 2015.

1. EBR

EBR

Hi I am currently working on a survival cave game. There is a lot to do and I will update this as I make progress. This was sort of based on Quill18s Ludum Dare 28 entry "Lighter".

Current Build: Webplayer (WebGL)

Controls; WASD & spacebar for movement. LMB to collect and RMB to toggle lighter. 'i' for inventory.
    Game Description
    The main premise of the game is that you are lost in a vast cave system, with nothing but your lighter (and a sleeping bag). You need to collect and craft things to survive in the caves fighting off animals such as spiders, scorpions, rats wolves etc.

Developer Information

I am working on this alone and I am quite busy so the development may be slow, I'm sorry but there is not much I can do. Due to my lack of artistic-ness the game is in a low poly art style because it looks nice and is easier to model/animate.

Features
    * Doing or planned

• Open world - More like a closed world (get it?, because it is in a cave... :rolleyes:), but regardless an infinite procedural terrain.
    • Objects - Randomly generated objects such as plants, rocks, mushrooms etc. will be useful for survival.
    • Animals - Animals which can help and harm you; including spiders, scorpions, rats, wolves, bats etc.
    • Crafting - Use the loot that you get to craft others which will help you in survival. You create tools, weapons and others.
    Please comment and give me feedback. Thanks :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This sounds interesting as a developer and fun as a player! Update please!

3. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Looks promising!

4. Neophen

Neophen

Looks nice!

5. EBR

EBR

Thank you for the good response :) I do my best to work on the game but with school and all it only really gets worked on during the holidays :/ I will be updating it but sorry if it is a bit infrequent.
    There has been a bit of progress, here is a gif of the object placement system; I've also implemented crafting (not in gif)!
    https://gfycat.com/IdealDirectGlassfrog

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You don't need school - just keep working on the game!

Wait - that's probably bad advice - don't listen to that. :)

Update when you can, we will keep watch while you are in the books.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  7. Sykoo

Sykoo

Will the random generation take action after each time you save the game too? Or will the stuff that has been generated be saved at their specific positions so that player does not lose track of them? This looks and sounds very interesting though, keep it up!

8. EBR

EBR

I havent really got into saving right now. But, yes I plan for it all to be saved. I was thinking that maybe after you are a certain distance from a chunk the plants will reset but player placed objects wont be. I am converting everything to unity 5 so that will also take time. Thanks :)

Sykoo likes this.
  9. Sykoo

Sykoo

Yep, I know the feeling of converting to the new engine :p It's a pain!

10. EBR

EBR

Yeah all the UIs changed along with some of the api and there is so much more to play with. :)

11. EBR

EBR

Very buggy and slow build, tell me if it works :)
    Current Build: Webplayer (WebGL)
    Controls; WASD & spacebar for movement. LMB to collect and RMB to toggle lighter. 'i' for inventory.