Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuum - Infinite Survival cave game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EBR, Jul 1, 2014.

1. EBR

EBR

Here you go:
    Webplayer
    (WASD to move. Right click to open, left click to light)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. FBTH

FBTH

Amazing! Looks great, only experienced some frame drop in the initial start up. Other than that, no drops.

Speaking of drops, in the first minute or two I did fall into a pit with small holes so I couldn't get out :(

3. EBR

EBR

Yes that is a know issue... I am working on it :)

FBTH likes this.
  4. inafield

inafield

Great idea! I look forward to seeing more, and the fix for the pit ;-)

Jamcount likes this.
  5. EBR

EBR

Update:
    General update tweaks and stuff.
    But no fix for the pit :( planning on adding a rope so that you can climb out of pits and up walls.
    Depending on your computer and the settings (especially the advanced settings and render distance) this may be a bit much for the webplayer so if you want to download the game I added links, they are untested.
    Current Build: Webplayer

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Jamcount likes this.
  6. FBTH

FBTH

...This... Just this is so immersive, the sound and camera just work so well! :D Hope to see more!

7. Jamcount

Jamcount

This looks amazing, keep up the amazing work!

-Jamcount;

8. EBR

EBR

Just a quick question, what sort of inventory would you like to see in this game? I was thinking to do a weight based inventory but what should it look like?

9. EBR

EBR

Update:
    - Added a very crude and ugly inventory system (press 'i')
    - Added hunger and changed how health and stamina work.
    - In debug mode (see Settings > General) you can see your players hunger/stamina/health.
    - Added flare and knife for inventory testing purposes.
    - Changed about section :p

What do you guys want to see in the inventory? What should it look like? (eg. like 'The Forest'
    or in a grid or in a list)

Controls: WASD - to move, ESC - pause menu, I - inventory, LMB and RMB - item action.

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Individual art assets are pretty, needs more content though! keep it up

11. ZunaUchiha

ZunaUchiha

I like this game alot. And if you haven't thought of a name for your game yet (Im not so good at these)
    try "No Escape"

12. drudiverse

drudiverse

I worked for 6 months on various cavegens, cave formulas, because you can use 3d noise, or 3d nosie multiplied by a tube, or a gyroid, or a grid of tubes, it makes a wobbly grid of tunnels, or by honeycombe tubes, etc... i actually wrote about 100 different cave formulas. The tricky thing is actually generating the MC's in realtime with high view distance, and loading them into gfx card properly, because, if 4-5 meshes were made behind him and he turns round they all load into gfx at the sime time and it's slow. i wrote some MC with all kinds of tweaks but it was still abit slow on my pc. it was fun though. i also have formulas for crossfading many cave formulas together. omg that was serious brain slog!

i also wrote code to texture the 3d caves by cubic projection mapping, it works very well. I really like 3d volumetric texturing on the grapics card, i did some of those too... lol. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  13. EBR

EBR

Thanks and I will take the name into consideration :)

Nice to know other people are doing this too :) My code isn't as advanced as your's sounds like, but it works. Also To get around the problems of render/view distance, I added fog and low ambient light so you can only see for one or two chunks :p

14. EBR

EBR

Update:
    Working on a spider model and animation. This spider is based on the Violin Spider. Unfortunately the original file got corrupted so I cannot edit the model or animations further, so I will probably remake them at some point. Planning on adding pathfinding and have these guys crawling all over the caves :) Other planned creatures to be added are; Bats (only on the higher levels of caves), different spider species, scorpions, salamanders and maybe others.
    dafdasdf.gif
    On the programming side, I am working on more procedural environments. eg. plants, rocks, water(maybe)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  15. Jamcount

Jamcount

I don't know if it is a mistake in the texure or the shader but there is a split on the spiders back. But beside that, the game is clearly making progress. Keep up the good work.

-Jamcount;

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'll throw you one of my discarded names, maybe is more fitting for your game: Underdark.

17. EBR

EBR

Thanks for the feedback and yes I know about the weird line. But it shouldn't matter I am redoing the whole thing.
    Thanks I will take it into consideration

18. drudiverse

drudiverse

underdark sounds very good. Awesome spider.

Here's a video of my caves renderer:

at about 1:22 is a cave... you will find that 3d perlin is monotonous, it doesnt have a floor, or any kinds of directions to persue, it's all the same in 3d.

yes my code renders, i made it multi core, with performance tweaks, i think 16x16 vertex quadrants was best. Like half of us here i thikn i should rename myself mr half finished.

still i would use compute shader next time, 100 times faster...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  19. drudiverse

drudiverse

here's another video of the MC i did, with islands... the mc was average but i did write 100 different play zone formulas, including gyroids, etc.

tube style cave:

20. EBR

EBR

Woah, those are way better than my system; your performance is also really good. I really like the caves at 4:47 on your second video they look really realistic in structure. And don't worry I have never finished a full game yet, I always leave things half finished.

21. Jamcount

Jamcount

I think almost everybody leave a lot of stuff half finished, i do ALOT. I hope this game is one of the games that will be completed.

-Jamcount;

22. EBR

EBR

I hope that as well, I will try my best.

On a unrelated note I was thinking of calling this game either 'Beneath the Surface' or 'Undergrowth'. Thoughts?

23. Jamcount

Jamcount

I dont know... There is a game called Overgrowth (http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth) and 'Beneath the Surface' was the main theme for Ludum Dare 29 where alot of the games got the name 'Beneath the Surface' maybe some of the games will stay in development and get released with the name "Beneath the Surface" (My submission: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=32646)

24. EBR

EBR

Hmmm... I guess I should have done my research before hand. I just like the sound of those names. To be honest anything that can briefly sum up the game and get someone's attention will do for now. I can always change it.

25. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Looks cool! I like the sound effects too.
    Maybe make the caves a bit larger so you can see a bit farer.

For a connected cave system I would recommend ridged multifractal noise. I use it for my game too.

26. EBR

EBR

Haha, I am also using a modified ridged multifractal. It produces nice noise in 2D but when you look at in 3D it looks like the image below. So to 'fix' this I did all sorts of other things to modify it in order for it to look more like a cave. I am sure if I wanted to I could probably change it to be more realistic but it will do for now. BTW your game looks great :)

27. Jamcount

Jamcount

Ok, here's a list with names for the game, that i briefly looked up on the internet, if you like one of them remember to search more advanced.

Name ideas:

The Endless Deep
    Deep of Doom

Endung (Endless Dungeons)
    Obscurum (is Latin and means "The Darkness")
    Antrum (is Latin and means "The Cave") (There already is an existing game: http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/antrum)
    Subter (is Latin and means "Under")

Yeah.. i think Latin names would fit this game.

28. EBR

EBR

Yes latin names :p makes everything cool. How about 'Tartarus'? or 'sine fine nox' (Endless Night). I also like Subter, Antrum and Endless. Also since you're my go to guy for decisions, what features not already planned would you like to see in the game? (see front page for planned features)

29. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Oh sorry you're right I never looked at it in 3D :rolleyes:
    However keep the good work up! It's a nice concept.

30. Jamcount

Jamcount

I got an idea for a feature, Flood, like everyday you have to get more up into the caves above you, because sometimes when it rains above the ground it goes into the cave, and the cave will get flooded, this could be used as a daily challenge in the game. Not to much but 1 meter or something like that everyday. I don't know if you have decided how to find flares and stuff like that, you could find emergency crates with these stuff, and the way the emergency crates gets into the cave, is because the rescue team above ground have an idea about that there are survivors in the cave, or you could make abandoned mineshafts with crates in them, but that's just my crazy ideas, use them or not.

-Jamcount;

31. EBR

EBR

That sounds good but I don't know how to make water behave like that and from what I understand it is very complex. Also I was already thinking of adding in random structural spawners but still need to figure out how to do it. :)

32. drudiverse

drudiverse

Hiya, oh cool i had forgotten about the caves with stalactites, that was very cool its folded the frequency of a 3d noise using another one and pressed enter and the result is amazing. I want to send out these caves on the unity asset store and to do collaborations for them, i had a headache from optimizing the MC and then i had to step away from the project. its abit abandoned :) there is a free graphics card code for unity MC online, and you can then pass the arrays of mesh back to the processor. its literally 50x faster, except its in shader language it needs to be changed to pass values back to processor :/

33. EBR

EBR

I have no experience with shaders :( and anyway sounds complecated. Also what do you mean by "folded the frequency of a 3d noise using another one"?

34. sam268

sam268

This is really good. You are better then me at this.

I haven't played it obviously but from what it LOOKs like I think "Cave Runner" would be a suitable name. Kinda like Maze Runner if you know that book. (2015 movie).

35. SememeS

SememeS

This is coming along great since I last played. Keep it up!

Is the spider going to be edible?

Jamcount and Whiteleaf like this.
  36. EBR

EBR

Thanks you very much. Cave runner is good but it might lead people to believe that this game is a game in the "Runner" genre. Well, it would if it were me. Sadly I have never read maze runner maybe if I had, I would know why the name would be more fitting :)

Thats the plan, mmmm yum... :D
    I will add more than one species, some will be edible

SememeS likes this.
  37. SememeS

SememeS

Perfect. hehehe :D

Jamcount likes this.
  38. Jamcount

Jamcount

If you wanted to you could do it simple, by making a Quad with a water texture, where the position.y increase when it rains, and then add a trigger to the Quad and make, that when stuff collide with the trigger the rigidbody.useGravity would be false, and when the collider exit it will turn true. And then later on adding other features like diving for plants that grow under water, but again my crazy ideas.... Keep up the good work;

-Jamcount;

39. EBR

EBR

I might add rare random flooding that could potentially be an interesting gameplay feature...

Jamcount likes this.
  40. drudiverse

drudiverse

This page has a marching cubes executed in a unity shader.... http://johannes.gotlen.se/blog/2011/08/meatball-editor-in-unity3d/
    unity3d now has compute shaders, which is the same language as that pages shader with 20-30 extra lines to pass teh output of the shader back to the graphics card. it means that you can access MC generated mesh in 100 times faster, i can do it but i would be learning too... for the moment i just tested saving open compute data, and i tested the marching cubes shader in a unity project, it's 2 weeks of work probably more because i would have to make normals and uv's also on graphics card.. Jeez its tempting.

Folding waves, means that i did frequency modulation, i modified the frequency of one perlin noise using another one... when the modulator perlin is up to value +10, the modulated perlin makes sharp stalactites, when it is 0.1, it makes smooth domes and round passages... i was an audio synth producer before this so i know alot about making shapes from perlin, sines, etc.

41. EBR

EBR

Update:
    If anyone is intersted I am still trying to do pathfinding, well I have finished pathfinding and now have moved on to AI which is a huge pain. Especially for procedurally generated meshes, and the way I have decided to navigate through the level.
    EDIT: actually finished some really basic wandering AI, expect to see it soon :)

path.gif
    Some mushrooms that I made which you will be able to eat.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 2.13.58 am.png

At the moment, getting the gameplay features is at the top of my priority list but I will look at this and check it out.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    drudiverse and Jamcount like this.
  42. EBR

EBR

Update:
    New webplayer has a spider in it but just one, because I haven't written a spawning script yet. The spiders are pretty stupid at the moment; all the do at the moment is walk around and if you approach it, run away. Also, for some reason, it isn't rotating the right way so you may see it walk backwards and to the side. It should be there in the same cave as you when you spawn, it is very hard to see on the ground.

Controls: WASD - to move, ESC - pause menu, I - inventory, LMB and RMB - item action.

43. drudiverse

drudiverse

That's very impressive. how did you do the textures?! that's a very impressive start to a game, well done. the ambient sounds are great, the gui, it's a very balanced development.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  44. EBR

EBR

Thank you, the main cave textures aren't actually mine they are placeholders by Nobiax and are available for free, but everything else I made in photoshop pretty much by hand

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  45. EBR

EBR

Minor Update:
    Added more spiders so you should notice them now.
    Also got rid of inventory because it was pretty terrible.

NomadKing and Jamcount like this.
  46. chelnok

chelnok

Very nice! Latest build gives me quite steady 80fps (fullscreen, lowest resolution) with peaks, which doesnt have too much effect to gameplay. However there was couple times my computer didnt respond in couple secs. That might be a GC problem?

Anyway, looks really good start!

47. EBR

EBR

Sorry for the lack of activity I have been away. Production will begin shortly and this project will once again start to grow! Thanks for understanding :)

Jamcount likes this.
  48. EBR

EBR

Update:
    This one isn't so much for the game but just to let everybody know what my plans are. I am going to implement crafting, inventory and all that but am unmotivated to do it with the horrible gui system. So I am planning on waiting for the new update. While I wait I will work on other stuff such as the models, improving and bug fixing. This doesn't mean i am giving up though :)

Jamcount likes this.
  49. MKayJay

MKayJay

I tried a few of the web versions as I read through the posts, and I almost had a heart attack when I met your spiders. I really hate those things :p - I love the idea, and I would love to see this game developed further, although for me personally, spiders may make it a no go for me :p - But very good job!

50. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I know this is old, but I am still working on this from time to time. I have been really busy and due to my lack of artistic skills (modelling and animating) the style of the game has changed completely. This is because I started from scratch recently and I have changed it into a low poly / cartoon-y style.
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 4.57.52 pm.png