Search Unity

Content creators: Tutorials / workflow thread

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by liebmeister, Oct 28, 2020.

1. liebmeister

liebmeister

I was just going through all of the threads that are currently on the board, and noticed that there isn't a tutorial thread yet, specified to this project.

What I'd like to see is a dedicated place for YouTube/Twitch streamers or bloggers to spread their knowledge while contributing to this project. More specifically I was thinking about recordings or walkthroughs concerning the following things for example:

- Bugs: Explaining why the current implementation isn't working, and guiding us through their fix and the logic behind it
    - Storytelling & gamedesign: What should be the pacing, how do you keep dialogues engaging,...
    - Visual & Music: Taking us through the steps while creating a piece of art, the thought process that's involved in getting to a finished asset
    - Overview of current implementation: Going through the current codebase and providing insight on the pros and cons of the current implementation etc

To clarify again since there are enough places to gain knowledge on any part of gamedev, these videos/resources should only contain content that's part of this project and could be a possible contribution next to the educational purpose of the created content.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
    • Audio
      • Music
      • SFX
    • Effects & Particles

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    cirocontinisio and itsLevi0sa like this.
  2. shuttle127

shuttle127

The Unity team does a good and reasonably thorough job of explaining the accepted contributions in the progress streams because they can spend at least part of their day reviewing and preparing something. Some of the commits on GitHub have documentation that does the explanation as well. At what point does more content become information overload?

Perhaps a post-project lessons learned is where more of this stuff could be done, reviewing the ups and downs of the project, what went right, what went wrong, etc. A little hindsight is always good to be able to pick out the pain points and understand how to overcome, or at least mitigate, them in future projects. Which please, please, please, Unity let the team do more once this one is done!

3. liebmeister

liebmeister

I agree that the progress streams are informative and entertaining, but as the project progresses I don't think they will be able to cover all of the moving parts in a bi-weekly 2hr stream. Also, assets/code/ideas that won't end up in the final product but might still contain useful infomation will never be discussed there, I'm guessing.

Since this is a community-assisted project, it wouldn't hurt to have those community contributions centralized as well, since to me, there cannot be such a thing as information overload when it comes to education as long as there's a structured way of handling it. People can always choose to ignore it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't at least be offered to those that might find a use for it.

There is indeed plenty of interesting information to be found when you actively browse through the forum and Github, but I feel like there will be so much information spread out across different locations, that useful posts like
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/whiteboxing.987468/#post-6458359 will easily get lost once that official thread/card will be closed.

So more specifically, the way I see this going forward is for the people who'd like to share some useful videos/posts to just post them in here, and that the URLs will be structured in the first post of this thread in some kind of a "table of contents" structure that will link back to those useful forum posts/pages/github comment/video, with defined categories for each type of tutorial/process explanation.
    For example, a start would be:
    • Animation
    • Audio
      • SFX
      • Music
    • Cinemachine
    • Input system
    • Game Design
    • Graphics
    • Shading
    • Concept art
    • 3D asset
    • Navigation
    • Physics
    • Scripting
    • UI
    • World building

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Totally! You're right, and thanks for starting the thread. We would love if somebody wants to make their own livestreams about the project, either analysing what has been done or, why not, livestream development of something new.

Once we have some contribution of this kind, we can start collecting them, and we'll make sure to highlight them like we did for the Dapper Dino video.

Amel-Unity and itsLevi0sa like this.