Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

contacting asset store zzzz So long but why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brity, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Brity

Brity

When i want to import an asset from the asset store it take several minutes just to show me my assets.

If I use the search it takes another several minutes.. but why so long?
    why is this getting worse?
    does anyone else have this issue?

The process of purchasing an asset.

1: purchase the asset (works fine)
    2: open the asset store inside unity editor = white screen 3 to 6 minutes (contacting asset store)
    3: click download (works fine)
    4: click import... nothing ... click import ... nothing happens..
    5: click reload page because of S***ty bug. = white screen 3 to 6 minutes (contacting asset store)
    6: click import (works fine)

So whats the problem?
    Help me understand this is happening?
    My broadband is 20mb
    My PC specs = can handle this S*** easy.

All future purchases of audio, animation and 3d models will be purchased elsewhere. This is ridiculous Unity.

2. darkhog

darkhog

Do you have Hamachi or similar software installed? Unity doesn't like Hamachi and asset store is very slow if it's installed (own experience).

3. Brity

Brity

nope.. Do you have to wait long too?

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

2-4 minutes seems to be normal for me when getting medium sized assets - Im on a T-1.
    Most assets come in at 1 minute or under.
    The largest asset Ive downloaded were the 3 raw motion capture files which took about 15 minutes each (estimate).
    Unknown at the time these motion capture files are the batch CM raw motions, readly available all over the internet and didnt need to be downloaded through the asset store.

The peculiar issue you mention is the white screen and failed imports.
    A white screen is usually a result of not enough ram in the machine since most UI/UX is processed through the ram. (I think?) Sounds like when the asset store tab is opening - the ram in the machine is struggling to keep up and stops drawing the Unity UI in order to give ram to the asset store website.
    Ive not experienced this - but I have had similar experience when running Mudbox, and Max and moving several million polygon model between the two while having a help file open accessed through the interface.

Rombie likes this.
  5. Brity

Brity

I'm talking about before importing assets.. So i can actually see the assets, this is whats taking so long. Are you having this issue?

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hmm - no - I have no issues with the asset store when accessing it through Unity.
    Maybe logging a bug would get some attention from Unity, find a solution to the problem you are experiencing.

7. Nateply

Nateply

I am having the same problem with the excessive wait time as @Brity. In the editor. Loading and/or searching my purchased and downloaded assets takes 1 to 2 minutes for each action... Opening, sorting, search by name. It is annoying. I think this started back in 5.2 or so. I have upgraded to an ssd during that time, reloaded everything, and the problem still persists. I think I've seen other threads about this, but no resolution. I have 100mb/s cable, so connect speed isn't the issue.

8. gilley033

gilley033

I have the issue with importing as well. Going straight to the store and clicking the import button works, but from the page listing all of your assets it doesn't. I haven't tried the refresh trick though.

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Since they made changes its bad user experience, really no store QA staff Unity?
    Whats the deal with having packages in search also, pain..

10. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Asset store has been slow for me in Unity since the Unity 3.5 days.... I think its a problem with the way they integrated it into the Editor.
    And given it has been that way for as long as I can remember (since 2009 or 2010 at least), seems to be a low priority problem for Unity.

What is new for me is that after I buy an asset in the in-editor view, I cannot click on the download button. Have to close the window and re-open the asset store in the in-editor view to download the asset. Been that way since Unity 5, never been a problem in Unity 4 and 3.5...

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes or right click on tab and click Reload instead of closing it.

gian-reto-alig likes this.
  12. sowatnow

sowatnow

I have issue with importing asset aswell. So i reload the page, and then it works. No idea why, but it is very annoying.

13. goat

goat

Typical JavaScript type unreliability - asynchronous might mean broken pipe and explain the behaviour you experience.

MrEsquire likes this.
  14. darkhog

darkhog

For anyone who complains that AS is slow loading, please check if you have Hamachi or other virtual network driver installed. It causes issues like that, speaking from personal (hehe) experience. It may not even be you who installed it, it could've been a relative or a friend. Just check if you have it. Uninstalling Hamachi and then restarting the computer will help with loading times.

Still it's the fault of Unity who dropped ball on this and should write their AS connectivity so it wouldn't be affected by Hamachi and similar software, but this is the workaround that helps fix the problem.

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Using MacOS, don't think its anything on my side.. its definitely since the last changes.. So Unity need to investigate. Im sure they always feel community pushing them, but I know this is a wider issue. Get it right first time and QA the damn store then there be no need for such threads.

Brity likes this.
  16. darkhog

darkhog

Don't get me wrong, failure to make Unity work well when Hamachi or similar software is installed, is still Unity's fault and still they have to investigate that - but I was just sharing a workaround that worked for me.

Brity and MrEsquire like this.
  17. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

You know have you heard the one answer to all: "Post a Bug Report" LOL, we get this for everything, I told them other day improve documentation they said post a bug report. There is no bug, just trying help newbies out there. I guess someone not posted a bug report yet, hence nothing been done?

darkhog likes this.
  18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I keep having issues with the asset store, totally unusable on slow internet. Today they saved me US $120. In total due to not having a solid connection on my VR desktop Unity has lost ~$200(US dollars) in purchases from me on the site.

It's OK for me as they are impulse purchases but still, not good for Unity!

Brity and MrEsquire like this.
  19. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

No Hamachi installed... and I certainly never installed a virtual network driver myself.

This is my "Workstation" at home, one of the reason I got a separate Gaming PC was to make sure crap downloaded from the internet would not break my work Setup.
    I used hamachi once to test a friends mods... but because these were WC III Mods, I use my old laptop for that test.
    I never willingly downloaded or installed any virtual network driver. Maybe my Windows install forced that unto my Workstation, you can never be sure about such things nowadays... ah, the wonders of the internet and windows auto-updates.

I will check for traces of a virtual network driver on my machine, but I doubt there is any.

Also, I ran the Unity Editor on about 3 PCs at least, 1 Mac Mini over the course of 6-7 years. These PCs had hardware replaced in those years, and Windows was setup anew multiple times.
    The expierience in the Unity Asset Store, when accessed from the Editor, hasn't changed much. Maybe it has been way slower in past versions.
    Its still not "fast" today.

Brity likes this.
  20. Flurgle

Flurgle

It takes about 2-3 minutes for me to load the assets list inside Unity. In my browser I could load it in less than a second.

Does anyone else have a fix for this?

21. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

It's broken....Posts go back years how bad this is. There should be another place to download assets then being forced into the broken editor. Its brutal.

Flurgle likes this.
  22. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Took more than 1 minute for my assets to load on the Editor for me to import on my project. The assets has been downloaded to my hard drive already, why the need to connect to the asset store online??? WHY IS THAT???

If you are in the zone and got a deadline to finish, even a 10 second delay is unacceptable! Heck, the Editor itself lags from time to time since version 5.5 and Unity still does not release any fixed for it and we're on 2018 already!

These are the supposed "little things" that is super annoying and should be "easily fixed" and YET HERE WE ARE...

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

You don't need to use that to retrieve the locally cached copy. You can just go to the directory it's in and use the package.

Windows: %AppData%\Unity\Asset Store-5.x
    macOS: ~/Library/Unity/Asset Store/

24. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Yeah, I'm all aware of the directory and that's what I've doing for a while now. Again, just another workaround. Same thing with using -force-opengl switch to prevent Editor lagging. But still, the problems are still there.. This should not be happening at all.

IMHO, this should not be the type of issues or bug, if its correct to say that, that should be dragged thru a lot of versions of Unity. Is this really that hard to fix?

I understand the long time feature request of "nested prefabs" still not being implemented since version 4.6 as its probably "technically difficult", but this type of issues? Meh.. Its really annoying..

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have to admit I hadn't heard of this one.

Everything involving the Asset Store is really annoying right now. :(

jakzun2011 likes this.
  26. Lu4e

Lu4e

After a deep uninstall(On Mac, I clear all the directory related to Unity), then reinstall Unity 5.6 seems solve the hanging problem(long rainbow cursor) from the new asset store. Seems 2017 is not friendly with the new asset store page.

27. Lu4e

Lu4e

I wish I could have some faith from 2017 with new asset store by installing again.
    This time is better, without hanging(was not able to capture screen), but with a forever loading.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 8.30.17 PM.png

28. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

it just hangs at 'Connecting To Asset Store'...

never did this before but, it's been doing this to 3 days now and i can't get at my purchases - no, i don't have whatever you've been talking about installed on my computer

29. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

i'm stuck - i can't access my purchases - it never loads at all