Search Unity

Consulo IDE (Intellij IDEA based IDE)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SomeAlexander, Oct 22, 2014.

1. SomeAlexander

SomeAlexander

Consulo IDE is currently in development by one man... It is an Intellij IDEA based IDE with available plugins for c# and mono.
    As I understand, debugging is not working yet but you can edit and autocomplete your source.
    Is somebody tried Consulo IDE for Unity3D?
    Link to GitHub: https://github.com/consulo/consulo

2. shaderop

shaderop

I haven't heard of it until now. But the project goal as stated on GitHub isn't very encouraging. "Creating one IDE for all programming languages" is overambitious, and the end result is likely to be more editor and less IDE.

3. VISTALL

VISTALL

Maybe. But not. I have high priority - make C# plugin usable for production.

Not recomment until i finish this pull:
    https://github.com/consulo/consulo-csharp/pull/120

For now resolving slow and can provide deadlocks in big projects

SomeAlexander likes this.
  4. VISTALL

VISTALL

Me merged this pull, and created base support for Unity. Video do it;

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Novack likes this.
  5. SomeAlexander

SomeAlexander

I just found Consulo much more better now. Project imported without any problems. And debug mode works fine. It's so cool! I think it's good alternative to MonoDevelop on MacOs. I will use it. Thanks, VISTALL.

6. VISTALL

VISTALL

nice to hear, thanks.

You can help me - improve it, by sending me bugs

7. namonai

namonai

This is awesome! I have it running with Unity 4.6.5 right now.

8. n1gth

n1gth

This is fantastic! It almost works out of the box with Unity 5.1.1 - I needed to add the UnityEngine.Networking.dll to get all the flagged errors to go away.

Only issue I had is that it won't build when the Unity editor is open - not a huge issue but would have been nice to have.

pea likes this.
  9. VISTALL

VISTALL

Please report about Unity.Networking problem at https://github.com/consulo/consulo-unity3d

10. pea

pea

Yes, Consulo for Unity3D is absolutely lovely. Had it up and running in 10 minutes yesterday and am giving MonoDevelop the boot.

11. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

if your on windows why not Visual Studio?

12. pea

pea

Sure, but I'm on OS X, personally.

13. UCh

UCh

I tried Consulo long time ago and was not ready for prime time, but this weeks I was doing another quick look to MD alternatives on OSX (TBH, booting a VM to run VS is just a pain in the back). When I take a look to Consulo I've been really surprised to see that the project was not abandoned and the activity was quite recent! Well, I decided to give it a go and in about 10 minutes everything was up and running flawless!!! Including debugging!

14. Baste

Baste

Is there any refactoring support? I'm thinking of things like renaming variables, inlining or extracting variables and methods, etc.

I can live without a couple of the refactoring features from proper grown-up IDEs like pulling members up to a base type or extracting subclasses from members, but if all I have to rename a variable is find+replace, that's a no-go.

15. UCh

UCh

Basic refactoring features: rename, inline, extract variable. No method extraction AFAIK. Install the IDE take 5 min and import a Unity project worked out of the box for me. Just try!

16. pea

pea

One thing I couldn't get to work: jumping to the right line number from the Unity log. I.e. double click debug/warning/error in Unity opens the file in Consulo, but it doesn't go down to the right line.

17. UCh

UCh

On the integration wiki he say:
    7-In External Editor Args type --line $(Line) "$(File)"

But I can't see any field to allow me to put this on preferences (Unity v5.2.1p3). Maybe @VISTALL can help us here or maybe is a change on Unity that breaks this feature. I remember that the VSCode integration showed a field with that king of info, but it's not there anymore :/

18. UCh

UCh

I just find out that "External Editor Args" is windows only. Sublime integration use a trick with bash to solve that
    , so probably we can use the same. I will try later today.

pea likes this.
  19. VISTALL

VISTALL

If VSCode showed as item inside ComboBox - it mean Unity hardcode name inside code.

I am waiting API for Unity. Related Consulo issue
    https://github.com/consulo/consulo-unity3d/issues/1

20. mrdsmt

mrdsmt

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    UCh and pea like this.
  21. pea

pea

Beauty! Thank you @mrdsmt

Works perfectly.

22. pea

pea

Actually @mrdsmt, my project refused to build when I put UnityConsulo.cs in the root of my project. You need to make sure it's in a folder called "Editor", otherwise all builds will error as the UnityEditor namespace isn't available in builds.

So yeah, `Assets/Editor/UnityConsulo/UnityConsulo.cs` or `Assets/Plugins/Editor/UnityConsulo/UnityConsulo.cs`. Fixed! :)

mrdsmt likes this.
  23. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Just gave this a try, looks very promising....:) I didn't get the click in editor console to open and jump to the correct line working...although I'm using 4.x. Has anybody got this working on 4.x?

24. VISTALL

VISTALL

please say unity version

25. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I'm on 4.6.9p1 now...

26. VISTALL

VISTALL

27. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Wow..just like that, very impressed! :)

Downloaded and gave it a try. I'm Getting this error( running OS X Yosemite)
    Thanks for bringing this the to community! :)

28. VISTALL

VISTALL

Whoops, i uploaded Dev. build. Try again. Sorry

29. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

He's done it again....and we have a lift off! It seems to be working now, I really look forward to try this on the coming week! :)

30. UCh

UCh

Your response speed is unbelievable taking in consideration that you're a single man shop! Are you in contact with Unity? Are they giving any support to you? If not, they should!

31. VISTALL

VISTALL

Nobody is paying me :)

32. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I concur! :) This is quite significant, at least if you ask me. Another IDE that supports unity...and is multiplatform! This could be a proper alternative for a lot of people that has been stuck with Monodevelop because of not having a viable alternative apart from running Visual studio in VM.

33. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

34. pea

pea

I love using Consulo with Unity. Good, good, good!

35. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

36. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Is there anyway to get tooltips that display a variable type like Visual Studio.
    Also the ideaVIM plugin is rather broken with this. everything works till i get into insert mode than i can no longer escape or control+[ to command mode again

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  37. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

38. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

yeah figured it out holding command and hovering gives me most of what i want. Thanks

Do you know what key wise is so different from intellij and pycharm in this? Trying to make ideaVIM work properly.

39. Member123456

Member123456

Did unity 5.3 break the editor dll? I get a socket connection error when I try to use it to open a file.

40. VISTALL

VISTALL

41. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

@VISTALL Hi how can I trigger help for Unity API functions to be opened in either browser or does Consulo have something built in I can configure to enable me view it as I code?
    BTW: You did great job with Unity integration I just hope Unity guys notice it and will make this default editor. It is way better than than MonoDevelop ####!

42. VISTALL

VISTALL

For now - no idea

43. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I'm using something called "dash" to view documentation ....which is pretty awesome:

https://kapeli.com/dash

Although I haven't got the integration working but there is a plugin and ways to configure it through external tools. Didn't mess around when it didn't work out of the box as I always have it available on alt+space anyway.

44. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

A little update... I fiddled with dash/viewing docs for breakfast and got it working...it now opens up the docs for selected text/code using this guide:

https://coderwall.com/p/91l2nq/how-to-integrate-dash-to-intellij-idea

When the external tool is setup you can assign a short cut.

One cool thing with dash is that you can also add documentation for your own codebase via doxygen.

45. UCh

UCh

Works like a charm, cheers!

46. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Unfortunately URL does not work.. I looked on Dash but it looks like it is OSX only.. It would be super helpful to have documentation display working. For now I setup full code signature display. And for some unknown reason it does not remember when I set that I code suggestion for all case.. Bug maybe?

47. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

hmm seems like site is down at the moment...here a screen grab from my setup.

I also managed to set it up to search the unity online docs on mac by pointing it to my web browser and passing in this argument/parameter:

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=$SelectedText$

It seems like dash itself is OSX only but there are alternatives and you might be able to hook them up exactly the same way, the windows one is called "velocity"

Check out this link: https://blog.kapeli.com/dash-for-ios-android-windows-or-linux

VertexSoup likes this.
  48. jk34594345

jk34594345

First of all: this is quite amazing! Works pretty well out of the box.. I do have a few issues though:
    (I'm running this on Windows 10 with the latest Unity version [5.3.1f1] )

1.) I can't figure out how to enable "Show Line Numbers", for all tabs, for all files. I can enable it via "View -> Active Editor -> Line Numbers", but that setting seems to be non persistent. E.g. If I open a new file ( maybe by clicking on it in Unity), that new editor tab does not have the "Show Line Numbers" flag set, so I have to manually enable it every time.

2.) The Consulo application does not come into the foreground, when clicking e.g. an entry in the unity console. Consulo *does* open the file and jump to the correct line, but the program is not sent into the foreground in Windows, like it happens for Visual Studio.

3.) I can't seem to run a build [ Build -> Make] (and get error messages like in Visual Studio) in Consulo. It does do some compile and marks stuff red, so that's great, but ideally, it should also show a list of errors/issues with more information like VS does it.

Keep up the great work, it's really awesome to be able to write Unity code in an IntelliJ-ish environment!

Thanks!

49. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Here is a solution for "1":

This one you can find in preferences, see screenshot:

Hopefully somebody else can give a hand with the other ones...enjoy!

50. VISTALL

VISTALL

2. Dont undestand what you want.

3. If you found not reported error - create issue with it.