Search Unity

Construct new, simpler mesh by "tracing" complex collection of meshes?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by JoeStrout, Sep 20, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I have a level that was constructed originally by overlapping a bunch of high-res rock pieces. We want to reduce both the poly count and the overdraw, by replacing a whole collection of these with a single, lower-poly mesh.

I'm picturing a tool where we can click on the existing mesh to create vertices for a new mesh. Click click click, make a triangle; click again, make another triangle connected to the first, and so on to create a whole triangle strip, and eventually a nice low-poly mesh that approximates the original collection of meshes.

Is this possible with ProBuilder? Or is there some other tool for the job?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, 2 solutions I think of first:

1. ProBuilderize the whole thing, then manually delete the hidden faces, maybe even do some custom cuts/etc to extra-optimize things
    2. Pull the whole thing into 3DS Max/Blender/etc, and do a series of Boolean operations to precisely-and-automagically remove all extra surfaces.

The 1st option will result in an easy-to-tweak mesh, ie if you decide to move some parts around later, but will be plenty of manual labor. The 2nd option will be more exact, and look just fine, but under the surface you'll have really messy, high-poly mess of geometry.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm. Neither of those is too appealing — I'd sooner make my own tool that works as I imagined above.

@MediaGiant? Is this something Mesh Builder could do?

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

the correct term is "retopology", if that help you find more alternatives, solution, tutorials, etc ...

5. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

With my tools all I could suggest is something similar to what Gabriel was talking about. Use Prefab Maker to create one mesh and then trim away the hidden triangles using Mesh Cutter. The only downside might be that Prefab Maker cannot handle tiled textures (UVs outside of 0 to 1) so that does limit the types of models it is suitable for.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I should have mentioned, UVs are not relevant here (I'm using a triplanar shader). So that simplifies the problem a bit.

But I really don't think cutting away triangles is what I want. I can picture what I need; pity there's no good tool to do it.