Search Unity

Constant Crashes - Failed to present D3D11 swapchain due to device removed.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mad_Mark, Oct 14, 2020.

1. enlite

enlite

After upgrading to Windows 11, I had to go to System->Display->Graphics->Change default graphics settings and TURN OFF "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling". This fixed my swapchain problem.

2. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I thought it was solved and went about 4 months with no crashes. Now it's happening again. Same project, same content, same pc, same Unity version (2020.3).

I don't think there's really such a thing as fixed as this problem can and will come back. All these "solutions" being posted don't help anyone except by pure chance and even then, it's unlikely to stick. Filing a bug report is the only way to get to the bottom of it, assuming there is a bottom.

EDIT: I'll also add that my crashes only happen when Photoshop is open, which just goes to show that it can be caused by almost anything.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  3. farrellart

farrellart

I received this error for the first time today. My system was online ( it ONLY goes online for package installs, Photoshop, and Win10 updates ) but, usually, I never work on a project with the internet active as there is always some program that tries a sneaky update. This was my error today as I forgot to turn the wifi off.

In Unity 2021.2.1, I left it in play mode on my project and had Photoshop 2022 open to modify a texture. Both crashed at the same time. Never had that before as both have been happy working side by side for years.

Usually, I run CMD and CKDSK the C: drive to troubleshoot and there were no errors there. So next, I shut down the computer, unplugged the power, and pressed the power button for 10 seconds to unload capacitors on hardware ( MB, GPU, etc). I then powered up the system again, I am not online, Unity and PS seem stable. I reproduced what I was working on and more - it seems good so far. Let's see.

I only mention the online aspect as this was the only thing in my workflow that had changed today. Maybe Win10, PS, or something was background updating, who knows. I want a stable workflow so it's important to save often ( I do this after every meaningful adjustment ) and back-up projects every day ( sometimes twice a day on a dedicated HDD as SDD's will fail without notice ) - if something goes wrong and corrupts your project at least you have a fallback solution.

This is probably irrelevant, but, it's my personal troubleshoot conclusion. Time will tell.

My system is quite old ( maybe ancient ) Asus P9x79 pro, i7-3820, 32GB ddr3, 1070GTX ( don't laugh :) ) but it works surprisingly fast for my VR Galleries projects.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  4. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

I've faced this error today, and for me that was related to how pass data to ComputeBuffer which was created with ComputeBufferMode.SubUpdates.

I did initialize my buffer through this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Argument buffer used by DrawMeshInstancedIndirect.
    2. var args = new uint[5] { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };
    3. // Arguments for drawing mesh.
    4. // 0 == number of triangle indices, 1 == population, others are only relevant if drawing submeshes.
    5. args[0] = (uint)_quad.GetIndexCount(0);
    6. args[1] = (uint)INSTANCE_COUNT;
    7. args[2] = (uint)_quad.GetIndexStart(0);
    8. args[3] = (uint)_quad.GetBaseVertex(0);
    9. _argsBuffer = new ComputeBuffer(1, args.Length * sizeof(uint), ComputeBufferType.IndirectArguments, ComputeBufferMode.SubUpdates);
    10. _argsBuffer.SetData(args);
    Then i edit this buffer through:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var count = _argsBuffer.BeginWrite<int>(1, 1);
    2. count[0] = group.y;
    3. _argsBuffer.EndWrite<int>(1);
    When last one code block commented out no error was throwed.

The issue was in using SetData with ComputeBufferMode.SubUpdates. When i've switched to code below all went well.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _argsBuffer = new ComputeBuffer(1, 5 * sizeof(uint), ComputeBufferType.IndirectArguments, ComputeBufferMode.SubUpdates);
    2. var args = _argsBuffer.BeginWrite<uint>(0, 4);
    3. args[0] = (uint)_quad.GetIndexCount(0);
    4. args[1] = (uint)INSTANCE_COUNT;
    5. args[2] = (uint)_quad.GetIndexStart(0);
    6. args[3] = (uint)_quad.GetBaseVertex(0);
    7. _argsBuffer.EndWrite<uint>(4);

5. jjejj87

jjejj87

It happened to me in HDRP, 2022.1b2 today.

I am super worried that this is gonna stay.

6. luch13

luch13

Had the same issue today, but as said before, the reason can be many things.
    I think in my case it also had to do with the Scene en Game window being next to each other, which worked fine the last time I had the editor open, but with resatring Unity the editor always opens maximized over three monitors (old GPU thing) and that made it crash.
    The solution was deleting the Library folder so it had to rebuild and reimport everything again and made the Editor open on a new blank scene which didn't crash.
    So be careful with putting the Scene and Game windows next to each other.
    (Could also have been something else in the Library folder ofcourse, not sure.
    FYI the rebuild can take a while, so stretch your legs and get a refill on snacks and drinks in the meantime ;) )

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is a big problem that is not receiving enough attention. I am constantly rebuilding library to have it not freeze and crash...can we please look into this...

8. cloverme

cloverme

Error happened to me out of nowhere today on loading the project on 2020.3.20f1. Only thing that fixed it for me was updating to the latest Nvidia drivers (427 to 511). Even though nothing had changed on the system the day before.

9. piewacket

piewacket

This link solved it for me, GPU drivers crash with long computations (TDR crash) | Substance 3D Painter (adobe.com)

10. mjonasz

mjonasz

This happens to me only when I turn off Play mode. The project was in Unity 2019, then I upgarded it to 2021 and that did not help. I have another project in 2021 and this one works just fine so there is something wrong with that particular project - actually with one particular scene in it. How would I find what is the exact issue?

11. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

piewacket's solution by way of adobe doesn't work for me. Still get crashes.

12. kkeerthi

kkeerthi

Windows 10 Laptop
    Intel XE graphics
    Unity version 2021.2.12f

13. kkeerthi

kkeerthi

Constant Crashes - Failed to present D3D11 swapchain due to device removed

I have attached the PC specification and the Graphics Card I have , though its not a powerful PC any solution available ?

Screenshot 2022-02-24 110935.png Screenshot 2022-03-01 141604.png SS2.PNG

When hit on Play i get this error. How can we resolve tried many online solution still not working during my VR development.

I dont have a powerful PC ,

Ram: 8GB ,

Graphics Card: Intel XE

Processor: intelCore i5

14. expandable

expandable

Each time i try to open the "Main Scene" in the unity project, Unity freeze, and i can't even click on any button.
    ( this same project used to work on my other less powerful Laptop ).

Unity 2018
    RTX 3070
    Motherboard Msi TomaHawk
    Ram : 64 mb

Fixes i did that didn't help :

i deleted Editor Folder
    i edited the TDRdelay in Registry to 60 seconds
    i Upgraded to Unity 2019 and 2020

I believe this is related to Unity and to Nvidea as well, because this doesn't happen for example with heavy softwares like Substance Painter ... yet this happen sometimes when opening many photoshop windows ..

Super weird

15. Zhiyong_Chen

Zhiyong_Chen

This solution solved my problem,Thanks!

16. Sam_Johns

Sam_Johns

For any of those running an NVidia graphics card that are running into this issue: I had recently enabled Image Sharpening via the NVidia Control Panel, which caused the Editor to crash each time it was launched. Disabling this setting again has allowed the Editor to load correctly and I haven't run into this issue since.

17. Pandaa2610

Pandaa2610

We found another fix for this issue after trying everything else and nothing worked:
    Go to Player Settings->Other Settings -> Disable Auto Graphics API for Windows. Then Add Direct3D12 and Remove Direct3D11 from list and restart Unit

18. SoyUnBonus

SoyUnBonus

It has started happening on my machine the last week. I've already updated drivers, deleted the library, changed the registry timer and forced DX12 and it still happens fairly often (several times each day).

The weird thing is that I had the same Unity and nvidia driver version for a while and it was stable. Maybe it has something to do with a Windows update?

ChrisRArendt and LaurieAnnis like this.
  19. tincuspcyjuegos

tincuspcyjuegos

En mi caso, hace tiempo que me pasa esto, y no solo en unity también en cualquier otra cosa, mayormente se congela por unos segundos y después vuelve, hay veces que termina cerrando el programa. Despues de tanto leer en foros, mi opinión hay algún inconveniente con el sistema operativo, solo probé windows 10 pero veo que también pasa con w8, las actualizaciones de Windows tienen que ver con esto. Hay uno o mas servicios que hacen que la grafica se corte. Creo que el servicio de administrador de ventanas de escritorio tienen algo que ver. Tengo que decir que estos pantallazos negros y errores en diferentes app además de unity, empezaron poco a poco, al principio no le di importancia hasta que llego un punto que eran repetidos y ramdom estos errores. Es tanto que hasta en el inicio de sesión se congelaba o lageaba.

20. tincuspcyjuegos

tincuspcyjuegos

No eh probado esto pero creo que volviendo a una versión de windows del 2019 y los drivers de la grafica de ese año. En caso de los que tenga una RTX de la serie 30 usen el driver mas bajo que soporte la grafica, Prueben eso y desactiven las actualizaciones del sistema. ESPERO QUE LES FUNCIONE. SI LLEGO ENCONTRAR ALGUNA SOLUCION,
    VOLVERE.

21. kevintalay87

kevintalay87

im using RX 570 with latest driver and i encounter this many times, i already try the guide on yt and other but no luck

22. Lenny991

Lenny991

This is an issue that has multiple fixes, so you might have to tinker around a bit before you fix it.

On my laptop i fixed it with this article (tdrdelay)

And on my current pc i noticed that my gpu was overheating because the fan was not working, it overheated up to 85 degrees celsius which is critically high.

23. datahj

datahj

I had the same problem on 2021.2.19f1.
    When the spine2D skeleton is inserted and left alone.
    PC: windows10 데스크탑/ GTX 1070 8GB VRAM

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  24. drakedane

drakedane

Wow. Guess I assumed that I would discover recommendations to simply update my Unity Editor, which I didn't want to do, since I just did that recently.

In fact, this seems to be the problem: After updating from 2019.1 to 2020.3, I started getting a LOT of Unity crashes. But doesn't seem like any one specific thing causes crashing, although, for me, seems like Unity has a tendency to crash, when I am working on a Canvas, which is usually a prefab that I have open and am editing in the Scene/Inspector windows. But, one time, seems like Unity crashed, while it was in the background! And, today, it crashed, when I was trying to save changes to multiple scenes that were all open at the same time!

Anyway, from what I can tell, I have at least one or more crashes a day, since updating Unity to 2020.3. And, even though I seem to be doing different things, when crash happens, I would not be surprised to discover that there IS some common denominator. But can't waste any more time, trying to solve this. Fortunately, Unity is usually stable long enough to get work done, although I DO end up losing work, some times, when these crashes happen!

Anyway, I was hoping to find some good news in this thread. But sounds like this is still happening in later versions, so definitely won't bother wasting time trying to update Unity again. However, I do have a couple of questions for the community:

1. I DO have some Antivirus software running, and seems like no way to temporarily disable it. But I will likely eventually try uninstalling, if Unity crashes continue, just to check that out, as a possible trouble source. So wondering if anyone else has checked into this: Into whether or not antivirus (or similar background functions) might be responsible for these crashes.

2. Finally, early on, with 2020.3, I recall getting error that my computer had run out of memory; and looked like Unity was using a LOT of memory. Don't think I have specifically seen anything like this, since then, but also wondering if anyone knows anything about this: About any memory-lated issues with 2020.3 or later. Don't recall anything like this, with earlier versions!

BTW, I am a Mac user, if that matters. And seems like a lot of Windows users, here. So, for now, I will assume this is NOT a "Mac issue" with Unity.

25. JorgenEngstrom

JorgenEngstrom

Thank you!! This worked right away. Couldnt even open up a new project without the crash but now its fine.

26. kookyoo

kookyoo

Unity 2021.2.6f1
    Windows 11
    RTX 3080 10GB

27. corapeca

corapeca

28. countryroadstakemehome

countryroadstakemehome

This worket for me, thanks man! :)

29. vibas_jets2022

vibas_jets2022

I was facing the same issue. All I did is switched my project's target platform from PC to Android. The issue got resolved.

30. Ramzshzd

Ramzshzd

You can just try to disable your Integrated graphics and run on the discrete graphics. This worked for me!

31. DerDicke

DerDicke

Same Problem.
    Migrated my Project from 2019.4 to 2021.1 because of new Terrain Tools.
    The crashes started when working more heavily with Terrain. As this is going on for several weeks now and getting worse every day, these are my experiences:

1.) Only happens when Unity is involved. No other game or application issues it. Even my (Unity) build crashes now.
    2.) May happen even if Unity is running in the background doing nothing (Lighting calcs manually disabled)
    3.) The Registry trick only brings the driver to halt completely. Meaning hard reset necessary.
    4.) Trying to ease the workload by restricting to 60 fps helps a bit. Meaning less crashes. But still crashes. Cannot play through my 15 minute long game (anymore).

This smells like an issue between Unity and Driver. Working with Unity on resource intensive projects since 5 years or so, this never happened prior to 2021 (I never worked with 2020 though). They must have changed something fundamentally between prior 2020 and later.

32. DerDicke

DerDicke

33. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Circling back here. I have yes, it doesn't help.

What has helped is installing an auto-saver that actually works. It does nothing for the crashes, but at least makes the impact of a crash sting less. You can set the save threshold to 1min.

https://github.com/aniruddhahar/Unity-Autosave

When you engage with customers (as all of us on this board are) you are engaging as a customer representative. That might not be your day job, but that's what you are doing.

Anyways, that's not useful to anyone. Maybe this is:

(1) Like many others I'm still getting this crash. This is happening on a brand new machine, with up to date video drivers.

(2) The crash seems related to Nvidia cards.

(3) The crash did not happen pre Unity 2020, at least not in this form. There must be something that changed in how Nvidia cards are handled by Unity or in the graphic pipeline changes in Unity that are causing this.

(4) The crash message is not accurate, I am not drawing or dispatching anything unique to the GPU. The crash happens randomly, with no change at all in my actions or workflow.

All of this suggests...

(1) You guys don't have a consistent repro for this or a root cause

(2) You need more data to get (1), how can we (the community) help?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  34. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Maybe stating your build target, specific unity version, 2d or 3d project, packages in use, graphic pipeline in use, selected graphic API (dx11, dx12, vulkan, ogl...) and operating system version could help nailing this down.
    There are a lot of different use cases for unity!

35. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

36. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

maybe it's a Windows 11 issue? (just speculating)
    I'm on Win10 64bit and I don't get any GPU crashes and I'm on a 3D project with built-in pipeline, DX11 and an RTX3090 too.
    You haven't specified your Unity version by the way.
    I'm on Unity 2021.3.8f1 LTS but didn't happen neither on 2020LTS for me.

The only issues I had with the GPU was the 3090 doing electrical spikes that triggered my PSU's protections and shutting down the PC instantly, but that only happens when I do heavy compute shader stuff. So I had to lower the GPU power level to 70% on the GPU overclocking utility to make it stable. This is on an 850 Watt power supply, but I can't just change it for a bigger one because I'd had to find a beefier UPS too, and over 900Watt they get REALLY expensive. (also, I only got the 3090 for the 24GB of VRAM. I don't care if it's not working up to 100%)

The RTX3090 is infamous for doing this by the way. I don't think that it's the same issue you're having, but it's easy to check out, so maybe give it a go?

37. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Thanks for the note on Unity @atomicjoe updated above.

A possible fix, I haven't had a crash for a few hours since doing the following:

// Windows 11
    • Right-click on Desktop > Display Settings > Graphics
    • Filter to Unity, select the Unity item
    • Click Options, set to High Performance
    // Unity
    • Edit > Project Settings
    • Select Player
    • Under Other Settings: Rendering
    • Unselect Auto Graphics API for Windows
    • It should default to Direct3D11, if it doesn't set it to Direct3D11
    This makes some sense as perhaps Windows11 is trying to auto-switch graphics device and that causes Unity to crash? Or perhaps the Unity setting of Auto Graphic PLUS Windows Auto Graphics causes a race-condition of some sort. Maybe someone on Unity can confirm?

I'll report back on stability / crashes.

38. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Are you on a laptop or does your desktop CPU have an integrated graphics adapter?
    Because that option is supposed to tell windows to use the dedicated graphics card instead of the integrated one for that application.
    If you're on a desktop and have a dedicated graphics card, you can disable the CPU integrated graphics adapter in the BIOS. That would prevent windows from using it and will use the dedicated one all the time.
    (I guess it must be a desktop, because there is no laptop with an RTX3090)

Also, update your Unity version to the latest 2021 LTS version: there has been A LOT of bug fixes and the first 2021 LTS versions weren't stable AT ALL.

39. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Aren't LTS supposed to be very stable by definition, how did it earn the LTS label without being stable?

But yes I'll upgrade to the latest. Thanks @atomicjoe.

And yes desktop, and I want it to use the dedicated card, or at least not try and switch cards, I haven't had a crash since switching to that. So got lucky I guess.

40. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

My guess: since now the only Unity recommended versions to install are the LTS ones, they are treating the Tech Stream versions as alphas or betas effectively, so when they graduate to an LTS version, they are as stable as you would expect a beta to be, and the REAL beta test starts when they release a new LTS version and everybody tries it.
    Because in Unity, the customer IS the QA team!
    I guess they learned this from Google.

41. DerDicke

DerDicke

I'm on Win7 having the same issue. Also on AMD. It's a Unity thing.

42. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Are you on a laptop with 2 graphic cards too? (integrated + dedicated)
    Have you tried forcing the use of the dedicated only?

43. DerDicke

DerDicke

Nope. PC. No integrated. Unity only bug. Does not happen before Unity 2020.

44. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Just got a crash again today when moving around a light in a scene, nothing major.

Definitely a Unity bug.

45. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

on the latest version of Unity 2021LTS?

46. Valorware

Valorware

I kept having this on my PC and on Steam-Deck, so I wasn't really satisfied looking into a solution that just fixed it for "My PC" - I knew it had to be something to do with Unity somewhere.

I was having the crash reliably today 2021.3.6f1 so I was able to disable settings until I found the culprit

For me, turning off Ambient Occlusion in post processing fixed everything. Which is a shame because I really want AO.

Can anyone confirm that disabling AO in post processing also fixes it for you? Or, just disabling Post-Processing alltogether if you dont have AO enabled? If so, perhaps there is something in there that Unity can investigate. I'm using the latest Post Processing package 3.2.2

I may also try updating Unity but wanted to keep this version for a bit more investigation

Im using Windows 11, i9, nvidea RTX 2060, low poly simple 3d scene, Bult-in render pipeline

*edit*
    I can't seem to replicate this in an empty project. So it seems like theres something more going on, and depends on what else is in the scene. However, I can still seemingly use AO safely if i switch the AO mode to "scaleable AO" insted of "multi scale AO". Hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  47. Valorware

Valorware

Just a follow-up, I haven't had the issue at all since switching PostProcessing AO mode to "scaleable AO" insted of "multi scale AO" (default).

48. Davidjsap

Davidjsap

Is there any further updates from the Unity team on this? I understand that the causes of this are apparently numerous, but what is an average user supposed to do who has no idea which of the 50 things is plaguing them specifically?

There is no rhyme or reason as best I can see for when/why the dreaded "Failed to present d3d11" message will suddenly popup and crash me personally. Sometimes after it happening, I can't get into my editor at all even after a reboot. The editor will just crash on Open Scene every time, until after some indeterminate amount of time later, it will just suddenly let me in.

This is beyond frustrating and none of the solutions put forth in this thread have made it go away for me. I would say that there is likely something fundamentally wrong with the editor if so many different things can cause unrecoverable issues for so many people. It shouldn't be up to the average user to do hours of troubleshooting just to get the product to open.

AlonMixed likes this.
  49. d_sharov

d_sharov

I read the whole thread, I will try all the ways to solve our problem. I'll post when finished.

unnanego likes this.
  50. Slashscreen

Slashscreen

2022.1.12f1, Radeon 6800XT. Windows 10.
    It's been happening this whole year ive been trying to work on this project. None of the fixes have helped me. Disabling Windows fast boot helped for a while, but it's back.
    Here;s trhe stack trace when it crashes:

Code (csharp):
    1. ========== OUTPUTTING STACK TRACE ==================
    3. 0x00007FF87B2AACCC (D3D12Core) D3D12GetInterface
    4. 0x00007FF7F07AF706 (Unity) D3D12ComputeCapableCommandList::SetPipelineState
    5. 0x00007FF7F07AFB4F (Unity) D3D12ComputeState::Transition
    6. 0x00007FF7F07A6009 (Unity) D3D12CommandListWithState::ApplyStateCompute
    7. 0x00007FF7F07CEED5 (Unity) GfxDeviceD3D12Base::DispatchComputeProgram
    8. 0x00007FF7F1DDF1CA (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunCommand
    9. 0x00007FF7F1DE40FD (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunExt
    10. 0x00007FF7F1DE4218 (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunGfxDeviceWorker
    11. 0x00007FF7F047DE37 (Unity) Thread::RunThreadWrapper
    12. 0x00007FF90E3D7034 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    13. 0x00007FF90E5A2651 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart
    15. ========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========
    This time it seems to be happening when Terrain LOD stuff happens? But it also just seems to happen randomly.
    This is a huge damper on my motivation and productivity.