Search Unity

Bug Console not updating values on Update?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yosefstudios, Jan 21, 2021.

1. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

So I came across this issue many times, and I never got to solve it because I honestly don't have any idea of what's causing it. Basically, the console is not updating values...let me explain a little bit:

I was trying to make a simple health system for my game, and I created two simple methods:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void ReceiveDamage(int damageAmmount) {
    2.         health -= damageAmmount;
    4.         if (health <= 0) {
    5.             health = 0;
    6.             Debug.LogError("You are dead!");
    7.         }
    8.     }
    And

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void Heal(int restoreAmmount) {
    2.         health += restoreAmmount;
    4.         if (health > 100) {
    5.             health = 100;
    6.         }
    7.     }
    So, in order to test it, I called some input functions on update (space to decrease health, r button to restore it) and debug.log the value. I first tested the decrease, which worked. But then, I tried to restore the health and...nothing happened, until it passed the health limit (100+, specifically 110). The health value was stuck at 60 until it changed to 110. Then I set up a limit (because I forgot it at the start xd), and as I expected, the health value got stuck again at x value.

For some reason, something clicked on me, and I decided to now display the value on a UIText and...it worked. The value was actually changing all the time apparently, but for some reason, the console only decreased the value, but never increased it.

So...is that a bug? I don't see why those methods that I used shouldn't work honestly.

2. flashframe

flashframe

Perhaps it'd be better to see all the code, but it appears you aren't debugging anything in your Heal function, so nothing would be written to the console.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

The debugging is done in Update(), which should update the value every frame, therefore, any change too, isn't it?

4. flashframe

flashframe

Yep, that's why it's better if you show all your code, because in the code you have shared you are not debugging anything in the Heal function.

Joe-Censored likes this.