Search Unity

Console errors on fresh install

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by orkney, Nov 6, 2015.

1. orkney

orkney

Hi all,

I'm new to Unity and have just installed Unity 5.2.2f1. Upon opening, my console log reports the following errors:-

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Unity Projects\Standard Assets Example Project\Temp\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll.mdb" is denied.
    3.   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolWriter.WriteSymbolFile (Guid guid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at Mono.CSharp.SymbolWriter+SymbolWriterImpl.WriteSymbolFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13.   at Mono.CSharp.SymbolWriter.WriteSymbolFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    15.   at Mono.CSharp.CodeGen.Save (System.String name, Boolean saveDebugInfo, Mono.CSharp.Report Report) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    17.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    19.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I was able to play the Project demos in Unity without a problem, but when I then went to install Gaia I hit further Console Log errors ("SpeedTrees need regenerating" which I think is unrelated to the above).

I'd prefer not to have any errors on startup just to avoid any potential issues which may arise down the road, and to know I'm working on a stable version of Unity. Hoping someone can give me some pointers on how best to resolve this? Fresh install?

Many Thanks
    Will

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Sounds to me like file permission issues. Did you install it as Administrator?

orkney likes this.
  3. orkney

orkney

I thought I did, but I'll re-install just to make sure :) Thanks Schneider

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

You bet. Let us know either way if that resolves things.

orkney likes this.
  5. orkney

orkney

Just to confirm that Schneider was correct :) Thanks!

I uninstalled Unity and WebPlayer completely, then re-installed Unity using the "Run as Administrator" option. After installing I also used "Run as Administrator" to open Unity and now I'm error free. I already have a ball rolling around on screen :D

Schneider21 likes this.
  6. WilburCobb1

WilburCobb1

I downloaded it twice as an admin, and I still can't fix these errors. It causes all scripts, even the standard assets to fail. How can I manually give permissions.