Search Unity

Considerate Assets for customers

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hippocoder, Aug 21, 2015.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ragdoll Studio 3 by Candlelight Interactive does it right. The reason for this is that it installs into Plugins/ with editor extensions in Plugins/Editor/

Honorable mention for Vectrosity which comes in dll and source form. So I can just choose to install the dll if I don't want to change source.

I prefer assets which build fine and don't ruin compile times during development. I wonder why nobody else bothers? I guess it's because they aren't actually making large games with lots of assets. So if you want to be nice to your customers, you'll want to install into Plugins/YourAsset/ and put your editor scripts inside Plugins/Editor/

or Supply a precompiled dll.

Pretty sick of 15 second compile times. Manually fixing this brings it down to 2 seconds. However, have to repeat the process endlessly each asset update. Aware of an asset that does this for me, but it doesn't exactly play nice with version control.

Should not have to purchase yet another asset to handle this for me or do it manually tbh. Also, Unity should have shown leadership here and utterly failed to do so. But looking forward I think we need some guidelines about this. It gets to a point where people are just put off buying assets due to how much they extend not reduce development times.

In any case something can be done about it, for new assets. Think of your customers, you are on one hand increasing their productivity, but on the other hand, reducing it.

2. Rico21745

Rico21745

+1 from me.

Also namespaces. Every asset on the store that uses scripts should be forced to use a namespace IMHO. There are many times where I have to resolve conflicts between two different assets that share the same class name by coincidence.

punk, chelnok, Ghosthowl and 2 others like this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Do you have any requests for art assets specifically speaking about ones that have a lot of animations?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't generally suffer any problems with art assets due to the fact that they only have a single impact on first import, where scripts impact every change you make.

theANMATOR2b likes this.