Search Unity

Consider making a Docker Container for Accelerator?

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by Cypherfox, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Cypherfox

Cypherfox

Greetings,
    I have a Synology NAS (DS918+), and I would very much like to run Accelerator on that. It has ~6TB available still, and it would be an optimal network location for this, and it can run Docker containers. There are several unofficial docker registry entries for the cache server (none, of course, that are from a trusted source), but none for the accelerator.

If you would publish a docker container for Accelerator, it would simplify the process of setting it up on a compatible NAS significantly.

Please consider it.

-- Morgan

2. bradunity

bradunity

This is definitely on our roadmap. We are hoping to become a certified publisher in DockerHub soon. Once that's established we will provide containers and an example deployment for Kubernetes. I will update this thread when it's available.

marie-unity likes this.
  3. Cypherfox

Cypherfox

Yay! That's great to hear... I actually went ahead and manually installed it in a docker container on my NAS, and figured out how to get everything working...and mounted a NAS folder as the target for the cache service. I'm stoked to see that it's filling out the cache directory as I reimport everything.

bradunity likes this.
  4. thoudayer

thoudayer

Do you have a date when you will begin to work on that ? And a date of publication of this Docker ?
    We are planning to used it to replace the Unity Cache server for our new game projects and we need some date to plan correctly.

Thanks.
    -Tony

5. bradunity

bradunity

Sorry, we don't have any specific date planned. We are hoping to have it provided some time in this quarter, so very roughly before the end of March, if the process is smooth. Again, because some parts of it are handled by Docker, we can't reliably provide a date. In the meantime, our manual instructions might be of use if you'd like to try out building your own container: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-accelerator-documentation.789593/#post-5254514

6. shiena

shiena

Can-Baycay likes this.
  7. bradunity

bradunity

adsmith, JoNax97 and shiena like this.