Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

consequence story

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Venomwolf, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Venomwolf

Venomwolf

so im working on a story where the player has a finite amount of troops after a certain point. if they lose units, in later levels, they should have the same amount as the ones that survived before. does anyone know how i can set this up cross-scenes?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Just keep a list of troops internally and don't let them deploy ones that have an isDead flag set.

3. Magician_Arcana

Magician_Arcana

Yeah for something like this I would make a global variables object that uses the dontDestroyOnLoad method and contains values that can be accessed in any scene. Give the object like a "troopsCount" value that's updated when you lose troops and checked at the beginning of each level to know how many troops to spawn.

Or rather than a count, a list of your troop GameObjects if that's how you wanna treat it.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Object.DontDestroyOnLoad.html

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Scene additive loading may be useful, as all units could be simply stored as a part of different scene.

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I have a similar system for my coop mode. I create all of the characters off the bat in my menu scene then call DontDestroyOnLoad. If the player logs out during the game, I simply disable the character with SetActive(false)

6. JennyHide

JennyHide