Search Unity

Connecting Edge Rings (Help needed)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by mvinc006, Oct 3, 2018.

1. mvinc006

mvinc006

I have an issue with a room I am trying to build, I am needing to prepare a room for where a door may go.

Using ProBuilder, when I select both the inner and outer edges of my room, click Select Edge Ring and then click Connect Edges only the first generated edge appears straight.

Yet when I do this a second time it goes off on a slant. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with my mited edges, I have tried to do away with them however its a lot of work manually editing, splitting, and re-orienting each vertex to remove the edge miting.

Is there any other way I could achieve this?

(See picture below)

upload_2018-10-4_10-33-32.png

2. mvinc006

mvinc006

Think I've found the best way actually, just select the outer edges vertex's and re position them with snapping (holding T). Not as much as I thought, not having to manually edit each mited edges vertex is a god send.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the late reply. What's happening here is, "Connect Edges" will always place the new edge exactly in the middle. So, the first "Connect Edges" is easy- it goes smack in the middle of each side, looks good. The second "Connect Edges", however, is applied to the new edges you've created- now, the middle of each is not the same place. So, you get the "slanted loop".

The simplest solution is to use ProGrids and snap the new verts onto the grid, and align them :)

mvinc006 likes this.