Search Unity

Connecting different terrain heights?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by JDatUnity, Dec 2, 2018.

1. JDatUnity

JDatUnity

I'm using the 2018.3 Beta to create a large slope made from multiple connected terrains. I'm having an issue where these terrains all have the same base height, meaning I can't have terrains next to eachother and use the smoothing tool to close any gaps

upload_2018-12-2_14-4-47.png

Here the terrain on the right has a y position of 200 and a height of 0, the terrain on the left has a position of 0 and a height of 200.

Is there any way to get them to align properly?

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My solution when I was working on this was unfortunately to just take the generation outside of Unity then check what each cell (terrain) lowest and highest point was and do it manually (to maximise resolution). Because if this isn't done, the terrain slowly loses precision on height. Would just try automating that if you can't find a workaround.

If you can get away with a single higher resolution terrain it'll save tears in the long run.

4. JDatUnity

JDatUnity

5. Flavelius

Flavelius

6. JDatUnity

JDatUnity

Thanks for your help but I couldn't get it working the way I wanted. For now, all terrains are using the same max height which is working fine. This is ofcourse not ideal because as soon as new terrain parts are added that need to be higher than 2000 problems will occur.

7. ChrisTchou

ChrisTchou

Unity Technologies

Yeah, this is an issue. The terrain tools assume every terrain has the same Y range, so they can directly merge the height-maps from each tile.

It's possible to make it (mostly) work by converting the tools to work in world space at higher precision. But it's definitely a lower priority task on our backlog, because it does make the code quite a bit more complex, and it is much harder to guarantee perfect seams between neighboring terrain tiles that have different Y ranges.

jelle_unity461 likes this.
  8. awesomedata

awesomedata

What if one could just convert a heightmap-based terrain to a mesh-style terrain -- Then one could use a mesh+polybrush sculpting approach to particular terrains here.

The only difference would be how the two render (to an extent), but it would make this extra-hacky programming a moot point. This hacky way of programming is what screwed Unity's editor in the past. :/