Search Unity

Bug Connecting any operator to Output Particle Context in subgraph produces infinite compilation

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Qriva, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Qriva

Qriva

Hello, I encountered the bug that makes it almost impossible to use VFX Graph in normal way in my project.
    When there is graph used as subgraph and if there is anything connected to Output Particle XYZ block, it will make this graph compile forever. I reported this bug and described reproduction steps in Case 1354637.

Someone from Unity, would it be possible to investigate this bug and releasing hotfix as fast as possible?
    It blocks a lot of subgraphs in my project and it's nearly impossible to work with them in current state.

chemicalcrux likes this.
  2. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Qriva likes this.
  3. Qriva

Qriva

Hello @Vita-, is there any progress related to this bug?

4. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hey! The PR is ready and currently being reviewed by our QA. More specifically I can confirm that your raised issue is a duplicate of the bug linked above. You can keep an eye of its progress in the Issue Tracker.

If I can provide any other details or answer any questions, let me know.

Cheers!

Qriva likes this.
  5. Qriva

Qriva

Good to hear, thank you!
    However I want to mention something, the issue from above says this is Unity 2021 problem only:
    Meanwhile I am on ~2020.3.14 LTS. I just tested 10.5.0 version in other project and the same thing happens and I can confirm the same for 10.6.0 in my main project. Is 2020 taken into account?

6. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Heya @Qriva !

It is a very valid concern and you are absolutely right - bug report does not reflect current situation. Might be that issue was not reproducible with the attached project (hmm). Anyway, I can confirm your words that the issue is reproducible in 2020.3 cycle and we have backport PR ready for this (Whew!).

I will edit the bug report for accuracy. Thanks to your sharp eyes, it helped us to dodge the bullet on further confusion!

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Qriva likes this.
  7. Qriva

Qriva

Hello again @Vita- , is there any ETA for this fix to come in 2020 LTS?
    I think its in review state like 3 weeks at least, signed as 'Fix In Review for 12.0.0' and from my experience there is usually additional time to show up and process label 'Backport to version XYZ'.

8. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hi! Bug report is already merged and now is on its way to land and verified by Customer QA. You can expect this fix to be landed in the upcoming weeks (do not want to give empty promises, but I assume that it should happen in 1-2 weeks).

I'll keep an eye on it and will update you if there will be any news.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Qriva likes this.
  9. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hi @Qriva, just checked the issue and it is fixed on 2020.3.20f1 VFX 10.7. You can get this version from Hub. Cheers!

10. Qriva

Qriva

Ah, thank you! I downloaded this package already and it works nice.

Additional note, I upgraded both VFX and URP, but started from VFX and after upgrading there was some error and warning, I think that was something related to shader graph and compliation (sorry, can't remember now) and fix wasn't working, but after restarting unity it worked. I don't think this is important, but I inform you just in case.
    Thanks again for your time!

Vita- likes this.