Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Connected Games: general feedback and questions

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by BHouse, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

We are committed to making connected games accessible to all creators, and the commitment to solving the breadth of this problem space is a long-term commitment at Unity.

This sticky post will be kept up-to-date with links to talks and blog posts that are relevant to Connected Games as a whole:

Talks

Blog Posts
    We will monitor this thread for feedback and questions related to the general vision and direction. We are initially focused on solving the “Real-time Session-based Multiplayer” problem space, and we will expand our focus in the coming months and years.

Specific technical topics will be discussed in the following sticky threads - if you have feedback and questions about any of these areas, please post there to ensure the support team members and developers dedicated to those topics see and respond:

moco2k, Joe-Censored and dichardson like this.
  2. moco2k

moco2k

Hey,

here is some feedback.

General thoughts:
    • The new focus and increased attention on networked games is exciting. However, IMHO, this step also is absolutely overdue because I think that multiplayer is among the most exciting aspects regarding video games.
    • When current UNET started back in 2015 it was pretty exciting as well. For example, I really like most HLAPI concepts and the simplicity it provides for creating networked games (SyncVars, SyncLists, Callbacks, etc.). I do not yet fully understand the point in the blog that the old HLAPI has been too over-general. Yes, please make it better, more stable, modular and such. And game-type-specific solutions are nice as well. But do not let the good things of the current HLAPI go to waste.
    • When talking about HLAPI support, documentation, bug fixes and improvements, the last 3 years were highly disappointing (LLAPI support was fine though). So, the improvement potential is all there.
    • I highly appreciate that you plan to closely listen to community feedback. Again, I remain a bit skeptical because this approach was visible for UNET as well. But I guess this time you are more serious about it.

Expectations / needs / hopes :
    • Willingness to be flexible and actually adjust/improve your plans based on community feedback
    • Support for both dedicated servers and player-hosted servers
    • Support for both Internet games and LAN games (even without internet connection at all)
    • Fair-priced optional matchmaking options
    • Fair-priced optional relay options (in contrast to the current system, using a relay service should be uncoupled from matchmaking, it should be an independent service/module)
    • Support for NAT punch through
    • Support for Steam
    • It should be as comfortable as possible to port existing UNET projects using the current HLAPI to the new networking stack. I’ve spend 3 years developing my project with UNET, incl. workarounds for existing bugs. However, I don’t want to stick with a deprecated networking system. Also, I don't want to stick with an LTS release but instead keep up close to the latest unity releases. So I would like to start porting my project to the new system just as soon as possible. Sure, I’m fine that this will require some considerable migration efforts. However, I do not want to recreate the whole game's network code and architecture. So, I really hope that the new system provides solutions to replace existing concepts such as SyncVars, SyncLists, Commands, Rpcs, different channels, etc. with reasonable efforts.
    • Don't make a step back regarding essential features.
    • Yes, ECS might be exciting, but I hope that you do not over-prioritize on this.
    Just my 2 cents. I hope that it's helpful. Keep up the good work! :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    alior and Jos-Yule like this.
  3. Vashchuk

Vashchuk

I'm very excited about the new realtime multiplayer solution and I would like to know if I'll be able to use it on 2017 version of Unity. My current project has a lot of custom complex shaders and I'm a bit sceptical about the new 2018's version render pipelines.