Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Connect profile leaking full name to the public by default

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by PyrateAkananto, Aug 3, 2018.

1. PyrateAkananto

PyrateAkananto

I really hate the fact that the Connect website made my full name public just by visiting the website once while being logged into the main Unity website. That is not how I expect my privacy being handled by a company like Unity. When creating a Unity account one has to enter a "username" (tooltip "Your username is for your Unity Community profile.") why not use this one first?!? I expect my full name to be used for stuff like payment receipts, not for publicly visible websites. In addition I see no way to delete my Connect profile again, let alone deleting it without causing problems with my main Unity account.

2. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Pyrate,

We recognize that although Connect started as a professional oriented community (showing Full Name) it has grown and as we begin to support other aspects of the Unity community the need for anonymous (username) behavior grows.

We are currently updating Connect to include a TON of privacy settings, one of which will allow you to use your Full Name or your Username.

If you'd like, I could suspend your connect account (basically deleting but with the ability of retrieving it) until these fixes are made and then email you when they're live. Please ping me at markp@unity3d.com

3. PyrateAkananto

PyrateAkananto

@markp-unity Thank you for your reply and your offer to help. I'm really looking forward to any changes leading to better privacy options. Please leave my Connect profile as it is right now.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am really upset, finding out, that my full name is used unasked by this "connect" plattform. I setup my real name only for purchases or similar things. Now, even after opting out all in connect and set "show username", AND changing my Full name to Surname + first letter of lastname, the link to my page ist still "https://connect.unity.com/u/[surname]-[full lastname]". I am really NOT okay with this.

How can I disable the connect profile?

shortchanged, DDmeow and Zillus like this.
  5. NelsonHurst

NelsonHurst

I would like to disable my "unity connect" page as well.
    I can't find the options to disable it.

DDmeow likes this.
  6. DDmeow

DDmeow

Your email address seems outdated. the email bounced back. Also could find any privacy setting... Can someone help please?

7. shortchanged

shortchanged

This is hysterically unprofessional and I don't think I'll continue with Unity for something as simple and egregious as this. What's the point of displaying the username if the URL is just going to leak my full name? I've barely gone through the tutorial and unity has already blasted my full name onto a profile and something i made into the world with no warning? Why can you not delete or disable your connect profile? I've already gone and changed my full name to nonsense to overwrite the URL. Not amused.

yeehaw_cowboy likes this.
  8. Rich_A

Rich_A