Search Unity

Question Confusion and question - 2022.2, ECS and Havok

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Lurking-Ninja, Dec 8, 2022.

1. So, up until recently Havok Physics were included for Personal and Plus license holders.
    In September you have posted this piece about prices and licensing changes, which clearly states
    Now I'm finding this on the Havok licensing page:
    Effectively, silently, on the worst possible way taking away the license from Plus subscribers.

Do I understand this right? I just lost my access to Havok physics in the (finally) upcoming Entities 1.0 release, but only in runtime so I can be baited to work with it in the editor to find out it's not working in run-time when I first make a real build to run on-device? Without any public announcement? Please tell me I'm greatly and embarrassingly misunderstanding something important.

(BTW, on the Havok licensing page this piece: "For more information, see Unity Asset Store: Havok Physics for Unity." is linking to the Asset Store, where there is Havok Physics no more, redirecting to the Physics Landing page without any further answers, reiterating the same non-answers you can find elsewhere).

Volshar likes this.
  2. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello Lurking-Ninja, the last experimental version of Havok Physics for Unity, which was available for Personal and Plus license holders, has been deprecated. We shared this update on the now-deprecated asset store page, direct emails to purchasers of the Havok Physics experimental package, as well as in our forum post. That being said, if you need continued access to this experimental version, please let me know.

The full release of Havok Physics for Unity is now included as part of Unity Pro, Enterprise and UIC subscriptions. This is a shift from our previous distribution model, where users had to pay a monthly/annual subscription fee to access it. We believe that bundling Havok Physics for Unity with Pro, Enterprise and UIC subscriptions provides more value to our users.

We're always on the lookout for more feedback. If Havok Physics is important for your use case, please do share that with us.

TheOtherMonarch likes this.
  3. So, essentially you have announced this on a page which was irrelevant for the people who actually was affected by the decision? Because we didn't have to purchase that asset, that was for Pro users only.

Anyway. Thanks, I'll cancel my Plus subscription then, finally. There is no value in it for me, especially like this.

4. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear that. As mentioned before, this is the first time we're releasing a fully supported Havok Physics for Unity package, starting with Unity 2022.2, and we continue to look at usage trends and adapt our distribution approach. I'll share more if there are any developments on this topic in the future.

5. Please, just don't. This is so not covering the whole truth. Unity announced this whole Entities stuff with the promise that people with Personal and Plus license can use Havok for free and Pro license can pay for it a little monthly fee.
    Release date comes, suddenly Unity tells that Pro subscription is now pricier, but includes Havok, Personal and Plus license holders cannot use it at all unless they contract Havok separately (SDK license). You know that the usage trend from personal and plus subscribers will be exactly zero. We can't even pay for it some extra.

Don't get me wrong, this is only a last drop in a big fat bucket, I just don't see why should I pay $300 a year for Unity when there is nothing in it for me (I do not release a game, I work for other people by making Packages what they can then import into their own games and I don't make more the $100k a year out of it, because it's a hobby)
    I kept my subscription until this year, because I like to pay for the software I'm using, but since Unity doesn't stick to the promises they make, I shouldn't really.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2022
  6. NoxityGames

NoxityGames

This is OUTRAGEOUS ! This change makes NO economic sense WHATSOEVER. I do am genuinely baffled at how a change like this could be made.

Adoption for Havok Physics for Unity is going to be near 0 if Unity don't give access of some kind of Personal and Plus subscribers...
    This also does not make sense from an economic standpoint. I don't know who made this decision, but it is quite possibly the worst licensing model that could have been adopted.

Absolutely insane. Unity is eroding trust in their brand every single day at this point.

VirtualDawn, apaxnid and Volshar like this.