Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Confused by Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by watch01, Nov 10, 2017.

1. watch01

watch01

Hi,

I have a few questions.

I am new to Collaborate and still a beginner with Unity. I am using Unity Pro 5.6.3p2. Just want to use Collaborate to back up my main project. I am not making the game with anyone else. I notice I have seven other projects listed which I would like to remove, how do I do that?

My total main project size on my hard drive is 12.9 GB, yet on Collaborate it is 2.47 GB, how does that work?

Also is it normal for the project to take several minutes to load while Collaborate marks all the content with those + signs?

When should I update? Just got the message 'Update now!' I have made one small change recently. If I hit the Update button I get the message "Losing all local project settings" "Your project settings will be overwritten with the project settings you are linking to!" Is that the local files of the project on my PC, or the version on Collaborate that will be overwritten?

In general I find Collaborate very confusing. Appreciate your answers.

2. grimunk

grimunk

It is likely that projects on collaborate are compressed.

Regarding removing projects, I have the same issue. I asked and was told that it's not available at this time because of integrations with other services.

Regarding complexity, have you used other source control solutions before?

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You can archive them if space is a concern.

4. grimunk

grimunk

We are looking to do an actual deletion.

5. watch01

watch01

I have archived the ones I don't need backed up. My main project is now up to date and there are no more +'s, although the project still takes time to load up before I can start editing it. Happy to know there are versions in the cloud I can retrieve if needed.

I'm OK with how it's working now. I haven't used any version control systems before, looked at Bit Bucket which I found a daunting prospect to set up, so I will stick with Collaborate.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've tried them all, I stick with collab. If you have unity on a different machine you can create a new project which is collab based and it will download it all and set it up for you. You can also revert mistakes. So you do the best ever script for animations, and you SCREW IT UP :O but that's ok, you go to collab (or right click) and revert it :)

Couple of days ago I got tired of waiting 20 mins for my poor project to make a build so I switched on cloud build and Unity built it for me (via collab!) and handed me a download link. So I kind of like that!

Regarding actual deletion, I did ask before, and they put it off but they did offer to delete it manually for me, so if it's really a concern for you @ryanc-unity might have advice!

Ryan-Unity and watch01 like this.
  7. dtakahas

dtakahas

@grimunk we can help you with this. Please have the organization owner email collabsupport@unity3d.com. Thanks!

8. flashframe

flashframe

Probably the Library folder, which collaborate doesn’t sync.

I agree with @hippocoder - Collaborate’s direct integration with Unity makes it a no-brainer for us. It definitely has some quirks, but it’s about as simple as version control can be.

9. grimunk

grimunk

I sent the message, thanks!

10. watch01

watch01

Hi Guys. Just added more storage as I was over the current 1GB free limit. When can I publish? I only have the option to update which would overwrite the local files with the uploaded ones, reverting the project, (something one would rarely want to do). The manual really doesn't help.

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @watch01! I'm sorry if our manual didn't help to clarify things. Collab is currently designed to ensure that all remote changes need to be included in your local copy of the project before you can post your own changes. That is why you only see the option to Update and not Publish in the Collab Toolbar. It's possible to undo your latest commit by using the Collab History Window and go back to an earlier commit that you liked. From there, you can either Update back to the latest commit if you change your mind or Publish your current changes to overwrite the following commits. However, you will need to Update to the latest revision before you can do that. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

12. watch01

watch01

OK, I did the update (got paranoid when I saw the word overwrite). Now it wont let me publish till I fix some conflicts but wont not allow me to fix the said conflicts (I changed the shader types on some game object assets since the first commit). The toolbar contents is blank.

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

If the Collab Toolbar is blank then there can be a couple ways to fix that. Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread yet?

If you're using 2017.1+ then you can use the Project Browser's All Conflicts filter to show only merge conflicts. Then you can right click on any selection of them to resolve those conflicts or open a diff tool to resolve them manually.