Search Unity

Confused about transparency from Blender > Unity...

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by astracat111, Dec 31, 2016.

1. astracat111

astracat111

I've started to work with Blender and I understand how to basically create a flat plane, unwrap it, then add in an image for the texture.........kind of...

I don't want to head in the wrong direction with this so I have to ask here for any tips or maybe people could point me towards some tutorials... The game I'm wanting to make will make heavy, constant use of the technique in where you have two or more planes and have an image/digital painting as the texture.

In Blender I'm most confused with how you would use it for making models for games vs making a rendered picture or movie in blender alone. I would assume that you don't need to use nodes at all in Blender if you're making models for games, right? (since you just need to throw an image onto the uv map?)

2. mariusz

mariusz

if it's 2D game maybe you should use sprites instead of flat planes with textures ?

and for the other part...
    Blender usage for games:
    - modeling
    - uv
    - rig and animation for characters

for movies:
    all above plus:
    - materials (here are nodes)
    - some effects to heavy for games like fire, water, etc etc. (of course you can animate and render fire in blender and then use rendered images in Unity for animated texture looking like fire :)
    - composting and rendering (nodes too)

that's in short :)

astracat111 likes this.
  3. Mauri

Mauri

You can't use Blender shaders in Unity anyway, because its a different shader language. Transparency has to be handled in the texture itself.

Mind if I ask why not using Unity's built-in Planes?

astracat111 likes this.
  4. astracat111

astracat111

This is what I'm thinking of doing instead. I guess you can just combine objects into one, I would just do the geometry in blender then, that'd make things a whole lot simpler I'm thinking.

I'm trying to do what Zelda 64 did with trees basically.

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I think what you are looking for is a "cut-out" shader, though technically any shader that supports alpha transparency could work. Then the texture would need to have an alpha channel, with the transparent parts having an alpha of 0 and the visible parts be an alpha of 1.

6. astracat111

astracat111

Yeah at this point I'm just gonna use Blender for geometries only, then just texture in Unity. I'm not doing anything that should be too complex.

7. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

uuuhhh....I don't know if you should worry about texturing in Unity either....Blender is actually better than Unity for actual texture creation.