Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Confused about per-scene physics

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Tumble, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Tumble

Tumble

As documents says:
    LocalPhysicsMode
    enumeration
    Description
    Provides options for 2D and 3D local physics.

By default, when a Scene is created or loaded, any 2D or 3D physics component added to a GameObject within the Scene is added to the default physics Scene. Each Scene however has the ability to create and own its own (local) 2D and/or 3D physics Scene. This option can be used when creating or loading a Scene to specify whether a 2D and/or 3D physics Scene should be created.

Then I do some experiment:
    I run scene A in editor play mode and then open scene B using scripts:SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync(name of scene B, new LoadSceneParameters(LoadSceneMode.Additive, LocalPhysicsMode.Physics3D));
    As expected, there should be physics effects in scene B but actually there is no physics effects in scene B.This is what I confused. Can anyone tell me why?(test in editor version:2018.3.0b4)

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It's not clear what you mean by this as it's a little vague. If you mean that the physics scene isn't auto-simulated then that is the current behaviour. You'll need to manually simulate the scene however you want using "PhysicsScene.Simulate".

Per-scene settings for auto-simulation and a whole host of options are coming but it's unclear whether that'll land in 2018.3

3. Tumble

Tumble

I used to believe that local scene physics simulation is automatic. Now I know it isn't. Thank you very much.

4. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Well, we used to have only one physics scene so everything's been local to it in a way :)

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Not a problem at all, sorry for the confusion.