Search Unity

Question Confused about how to include local addressables with app built for Appstore & PlayStore

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by JoeTheWiltshire, Jun 5, 2020.

1. JoeTheWiltshire

JoeTheWiltshire

Hi All,

As the title suggests I've started work on an app that I'm hoping to release on Apple appstore and Google play store.
    In order to keep the runtime memory usage down I was hoping to use locally stored addressables, and load / unload them as needed at runtime.
    I realise the best use of addressables is remotely hosting assets (AWS & Cloudfront) but that will incur extra costs that I'd rather not pay if possible (Though this is a direction I could go if all else fails).

I haven't gotten too deep into this project yet but I'm not finding much information on how bundling local assets with iOS / Android builds actually works / if it's developer friendly.

I have worked on a project for desktop using addressables (both remote and locally stored assets) and in that case we are including the local assets in the build, so our built package just includes the folder location:
    .....\App\App_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\[Platform]\[BuildTarget]
    But now with 2 different mobile build targets and different processes to upload to their respective stores I'm hitting a bit of a wall in my research.

Any resources / information / explanation on these things would be massively appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

2. phobos2077

phobos2077

Not sure what exactly you don't understand? With Android/iOS it's exactly the same workflow. Your local bundles will end up in your APK. They are copied to StreamingAssets temporarily during build from a respective platform subfolder in Library.