Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Configuration for project-wide input actions being Enabled by default

Discussion in 'Input System' started by beevik_, Apr 18, 2024.

1. beevik_

beevik_

The current 1.8.1 input system enables all project-wide input actions by default when the application starts. Unfortunately, in the editor, this occurs during the play-mode change to "play" mode. By this time, MonoBehaviours have already received their Awake and Start callbacks (as well as a single Update callback).

I would like my project-wide action maps to start out disabled so that I can enable them manually on an as-needed basis. But the play-mode change handler in InputSystem is overriding my attempts to Disable them in Awake callbacks. To work around this, I have to wait for the first Update call, then forcibly disable project-wide action maps. Very wonky. Also, I believe this is only an issue in the editor, which leads to the editor and player builds working differently.

Would it be possible to have an input system setting that allows us to configure whether the project-wide input actions are enabled or disabled by default? This would solve my problem.

EDIT: Alternatively, the input system could stop relying on the "EnteredPlayMode" play-mode state change to enable all project-wide input actions. This is the true source of the issue.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024