Search Unity

Question Conditionally enable/disable nodes?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by dgoyette, Jul 3, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm trying to make a visual effect that's somewhat reusable. For example, in some cases I want the particles to spawn along a line, and in other cases I want the particles to spawn on a circle. Ideally I'd be able to have the following two nodes in my graph, and just enable/disable them conditionally:

upload_2020-7-3_14-40-8.png

I don't see a way to do that, though.

I see three fairly cumbersome options:
    • Pretty much completely duplicate my graph, with a different spawning behavior in each.
    • Move at least two chunks of the graph into subgraphs to somewhat avoid as much duplication.
    • Rebuild the Position (Line) and Position (Circle) logic manually and plug them into the general Set Position node.
    Is there another here that's not such a hassle? I'd be conditionally changing the behavior based on a public parameter to the visual effect.

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @dgoyette ,

Toggling blocks is not possible at the moment, but it is next up on our public roadmap.

In the meantime (a slightly convoluted work-around), you can set a position in one shape, store it somewhere else (e.g. in TargetPosition), then reset the position back to 0, set the new position in a new shape, and then blend between the two for an easy switch, which you can also expose and tweak from the inspector:

(There's an improvement coming soon which would allow you to blend between shape blocks right away, so you could simply have a bunch of shapes after each other and decide which one would come on top).

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks for mentioning the Blend Position approach. That's very helpful. I hadn't thought of that.

VladVNeykov likes this.