Search Unity

Concurrent Binarytree

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by RoughSpaghetti3211, Aug 12, 2021.

1. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Saw a cool talk form unity terrain team that showed a concurrent binarytree for runtime longest edge subdivide and Catmull Clark subdivision. I would love to see this in DOTS api. Anyone have any more information ?

apkdev, Deleted User, bb8_1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

It would be really cool if unity integrate this in their engine!!! I have asked whether it will be integrated in the engine here in the comment section... But I am still not sure whether it will be available for us to use

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2021
  3. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Triangle Bintrees.

I love em, were my entry into realtime geometry optimization almost 25 years ago, and even though they seem somewhat counterintuitive, wow, WOW do they pwn the daylights out of Quadtrees.

That said, I think this is too specific to be in the scope of the Unity3D game engine, but it is not outside the scope of a 3rd party Asset.

bb8_1, Deleted User and Neto_Kokku like this.
  4. Guedez

Guedez

Some of the stuff said in the video went out of my head, but do these can be used to do octree frustum culling?

bb8_1 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Seems like it will come in unity at some point of time (in 2022 versions maybe) but doesn't look like it will be with DOTS

bb8_1 likes this.
  6. bb8_1

bb8_1

It would be cool if they add support for planet size terrains(even SC planets which are actually 1/6 of Earth's radius(i mean their Earth like planets)) and maybe even doubles on cpu side(will be introduced to ue5 and godot 4.0 soon) as a support for big worlds - it's strange if they don't use DOTS though(maybe heavy calculations go to gpu(cs)) - anyhow video is so impressive thx for showing it - fingers crossed :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Deleted User likes this.