Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept Art stage and, preparation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbb1979, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbb1979

jbb1979

Do you make concept art, write a story-board, collect ' Set ' pictures or, similar - -

Here's how they made Resident Evil 5, I think it's a 10-Year old PS3 game but, it still holds up - - Here you can see their proces, from early concepts to final product - -

When I prepare concept art, I like finding good images, that capture the mood and, add text to them and, modify the images, cutting out relevant bits and, pasting them in other images, for a final effect - -

Do you have a concept prep stage, What do you do - -

iamthwee likes this.
  2. iamthwee

iamthwee

Loved the vid!

jbb1979 likes this.
  3. jbb1979

jbb1979

Here's part two - -

I've bought a Drawing pad, for Making sketches And, Early designs - -

wa235626.jpg

I recommend getting the ' Medium sized ' ones, they're Great for making sketches And, Early concepts - - Also, no Battery in the pen, it's Magnetized And, No batteries - -

Nyt bitmapbillede.jpg

va 343434.jpg

Vampp235235.jpg

$$

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. jbb1979

jbb1979

I bought a ' small pad ' but, I regret it . . I should have bought this one, for Early concepts And, So on - -

wac89245245.jpg

Then you can sketch almost like on paper, make early concepts and, story-boards, Concepts, Etc

story 022.jpg

ech 457457.jpg $

5. jbb1979

jbb1979

I have developed a technique with my drawing pad, where I first draw a light grey rough sketch, in Microsoft Paint, then when I know what I want, I paint a darker grey on top, of that, and, after that I draw Black precise sketch, to get precisely what I want - - Then I just use ' Fill Color ' Tool and, Make the entire picture first light grey and, then remove all the grey leaving me, with Precise sketch - -

Man - for Ditte XX.jpg

That way, I can make Good Concept art, using my tablet, which by the way is super - good quality . .

I can sketch out areas, things I want, Rough ideas - -

And, it's basically as simple as drawing, with ones hand, Very close - -

Demon Fin.png

thu 892452.jpg

And, with my laptop I can place the screen in front of me or, on the floor and, look Down on it, as I draw or, on a low table, so It becomes Most natural $ $

6. jbb1979

jbb1979

I wanted to make a game where there was a problem, with fire, so I googled various things, ' fire ' , ' flame ', ' burning building ', ' burning house ' and, found the precise Concept or, Early stage Visuals, I Wanted - -

Fire 019.jpg
    Fire 023.jpg Fire 027.jpg Fire 029.jpg

That was when the idea was very clear to me, the Benefit is now, even if I'm not sure what I want or, Exact look, I have 10 - 15 Good concept images stored in a folder, for my project, so I don't have to worry about forgetting and, these are good for later pre - viz of particle effects And, Final production - -$

I hope this makes sense, I Would like to hear how you create concept art and, Go Forward, first towards Low-poly characters, then mid-poly, finally High-poly, for almost AAA Games - - Not all games need to be AAA, AA Games are also good - -

Do you have an intuitive process, that helps you go from what's in your head to, what you want, in the game, like ' Stepping stones ', Of sorts

I want to share what I've learnt, is the best process, Over time And, May-be Start a discussion on the best method, to do this - -<3

I hope it's some-what obvious, I'm More of an artist and, 3D Modeller, I'm new to Game engines But, I've Been speculating on these projects for years, Slowly gathering images and, Making Small text-files, with ideas, Names places, Slowly accumulating a Massive set of ideas, that can become a Massive, Good game

What is your method, Do you have a different approach - - I think it's Good to talk about it As, We Can easily Learn from Each other <3 <3 $

ps. I have begun editing my texts and, putting more stuff in one edit, when can - - Thank you, I'll Get better, I promise

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Off topic, wrong section and not what this forum is for. Closed.

elcionap, Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.