Search Unity

Computer Freezes when Resizing PC Build

Discussion in 'Windows' started by davebutlerenator2, Sep 2, 2015.

1. davebutlerenator2

davebutlerenator2

I'm having an issue with resizing standalone build windows. The problem is this - resizing the standalone window will occasionally freeze my computer. I've even tried creating a build of an empty scene (just camera and a light), and resizing still freezes my computer for up to a minute.

I'm creating the build using Unity 5.1.2f1 in Windows 7. I can resize the window in the editor just fine (even while playing), but resizing the standalone consistently freezes my computer.

Is there something I can do to mitigate this? Is this a bug?

Thanks,
    David

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Try updating GPU drivers :)

3. davebutlerenator2

davebutlerenator2

Thanks! That seemed to help a bit, but I'm still experiencing brief delays (~10 secs) after each resize. Is this to be expected?

4. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

What GPU do you have, seems like it's a pretty weak one ? Delay probably means that it takes a while to recreate GPU resources when resize occurs, and your GPU might be using a lot of shared memory from RAM, which is slower than dedicated GPU memory.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Any chance you could capture a trace of such freeze? It would help identifying the cause.

6. davebutlerenator2

davebutlerenator2

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Tomas1856 Indeed I am using a weak GPU. This machine has an Intel HD 4600. What surprises me the most is everything runs smoothly resizing in the editor, it only freezes when resizing a standalone build. I would expect the opposite.

@Tautvydas Zilys I'll give you anything that will help, but I'm not sure exactly what you want. Are you looking for a stack trace at some point during the freeze? If so, how can I capture a stack trace from the standalone?

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do you have Windows Performance Recorder installed? If so, open it up, tick "CPU Usage" and "First level triage", start any windows standalone app, after it's loaded press start in Windows Performance Recorder, resize window, wait until the freeze is over, go back to windows performance recorder, press stop, upload the resulting file somewhere and give me a link.