Search Unity

ComponentDataArray Deprecated?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by nttLIVE, Jan 23, 2019.

1. nttLIVE

nttLIVE

With ComponentDataArray being deprecated, is the proper way of getting components only through Chunks iteration and IJobProcessComponentData now?

EDIT: I confused ComponentArray with ComponentDataArray.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

ComponentArray: Used for classes (hybrid) E.g. you want to access a Monobehaviour scripts or legacy components like Rigidbody or Animator

ComponentDataArray: For all struct IComponentData (Pure)

3. 5argon

5argon

There is a new ForEach syntax provided as ComponentSystem's protected method in the lastest version. It uses chunk interation inside. Maybe you should try using it.

4. nttLIVE

nttLIVE

Yes I'm aware, the question was edited properly.

Is there a reference to this new syntax I could read on? I'm not sure I even see it on the change log. This sounds amazing.

5. 5argon

5argon

I wonder if they are not mentioning the ForEach because it is not usable yet? I haven't upgrade the version, but I see ForEachLambdaTests.cs that demonstrate some use. Basically ForEach( (ref T comp) => ____ ); then you could modify comp in the same fashion as IJobProcessComponentData but this is a non-job version.

Seems like each possible lambda combination that ForEach can handle was machine generated and appended to ComponentSystem via partial C# syntax. Currently there is a 3000 line file handling combinations of delegates of ref CDA/no ref CDA (for read only access)/SCD/dynamic buffer/Entity. The generator tool is also included so you could get more combinations I suppose.

nttLIVE likes this.
  6. M_R

M_R

with ForEach syntax is so easy to create garbage:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnUpdate() {
    2.     var dt = Time.deltaTime;
    3.     ForEach((ref Position p) => p.Value += dt*float3(1,2,3)); // <- I am capturing a local!!!
    4. }

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

May be that why is in experimental yet? What to do, to prevent garbage in such case?

8. elcionap

elcionap

IIRC when you use data from stack outside the anonymous function/lamba a class is generated to hold the data. So you shouldn't declare anything that way. Use a field in the system instead.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float m_DeltaTime;
    3. protected override void OnUpdate() {
    4.     m_DeltaTime = Time.deltaTime;
    6.     ForEach((...)=> {
    7.         ...m_DeltaTime
    8.     }
    9. }
    []'s

Antypodish likes this.
  9. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Make it static?

Edit: An instance field would work too. That should just be a single allocation.