Search Unity

Component-based programming in other engines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alec, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Alec

Alec

(Excuse the title if I have misinterpreted component based scripting)
    So I've been on the other side of the fence lately, that being UDK and Cryengine - but I have come back to Unity again because of the extreme simplicity that is its programming environment.

Maybe I'm just to used to Unity but It seemed to me that you had to do an enormous amount of work to even get a text editor working! Let alone programming a single object!

For example, in Unity you would place say, a cube, then create a file within the project like a C# solution and simply drag it on to create the functionality. It's so simple, and it makes me wonder why other engines don't provide such a simple solution.

Also, I didn't even make it as far as editing code in Cryengine! It blew me away with it's layout :oops:

And then came the issue of APIs. I have yet to have seen a single reference document for the UDK's system collections and components to code off. It's that simple. Either I'm thicker than I thought I was or it seems they haven't made their resources clear enough!

So basically an open question, what are your experiences with other engines after being grounded or familiar with Unity?