Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Complex Character Game Save

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Redbone2050, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Redbone2050

Redbone2050

I am making a program that allows you to manipulate two human characters bodies to demonstrate martial arts moves. The end goal is a database in the cloud where people can share the different ways they like to execute moves. I have read up on saving game progress, and it looks like serializing is going to be better for me than playerprefs since it's going to be cloud based and hopefully on iOS and Android.

My question is this:
    My game consists of a square room with two figures in it. So in that sense, it's pretty basic. The problem is that each of the two figures is comprised of ~70 pieces, each of which has a specific Vector3 position, as well as three axis rotation.
    Do I have to serialize each vector3 position and rotational reference for each of the characters? Unity's whole scene files for this are only between 600&650 Kbs (yes kilobytes), so if there was a bulk scene save command accessible from the player side that's identical to the Developer side SaveScene command, I think that'd be my best bet, since it'd record everything. But I am pretty new to all this.
    Just hoping there's a more elegant solution to saving and loading this than I am ignorant of.
    Thanks very much