Search Unity

Completely unusable on mac os

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by xathos9, Jan 29, 2020.

1. xathos9

xathos9

I'm getting under 1 fps (actually, close to 1 frame per 13 seconds), in the editor on a blank, new HDRP project. This is with the latest release of unity 2019.3, on mac os 10.15.2 (catalina), with both an RX 580 (over thunderbolt) and on my laptop's integrated + discrete GPUs.

How on earth you could consider this a stable release without apparently doing any testing for this is utterly beyond me, unless this is limited to my specific hardware configuration (which I would very much doubt).

Obviously this is caused by something going horribly wrong in unity's use of apple's metal API somewhere, or through some abstraction of it, but I have no idea what. And yeah, no, I'm not exactly able to test this or give you diagnostics when the unity editor is somehow able to lock up not just itself but my entire system while it's open (and yes, I'd consider this apple's fault for that specifically to be even possible, but that's besides the point). FWIW, I am getting an error about invalid shaders w/ no fallback for this GPU, but I have no idea if that is somehow the cause of this or just completely unrelated. Taking a roughly 1000x performance hit for missing shaders, in the editor, seems a bit extreme.

I'd like to be able to play around with new VFX tools on my development platform of choice - and yes, I should certainly be capable of running at least an empty project on this hardware.

If unity flat out has no support for macs / metal on the HRDP, you should flat out say as much. And if I'm somehow the only person with this problem, I'd very much like to know that, and why.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Last time I used HDRP on a Mac (MBP 15" 2016, several weeks ago) it worked just fine.
    As I'm not the only one at Unity using a Mac, I suppose this is specific to your configuration.
    Can you please try and submit a bug report? Thanks!